Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer stuck in bios

• Please log in to reply

butch.kimball

butch.kimball

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello,
My neighbors computer is a 633 mhz processor with 256 mb of ram and a 140 gig hard drive.

when he boots up it runs through the bios and gets stuck.
It gets as far as dma pool data update successful but instead of opening windows it has a hard clicking from the hard drive and sometimes says to remove disk or media and press any key to start.

I don't think it is even recognizing the hard drive.

The computer is a ronin that he had someone build for him.

he has windows xp on it and a dvd, cd-rw, 3 1/2 floppy on it.
The bios could be not right?

any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Also we put a 3 1/2 floppy with ms-dos on it in the floppy drive and after it got to the bottom of bios it opened to the dos disk.
It showed what the disk had on it when we typed dir and hit enter but you couldn't type c:/ it said bad command

thanks for any help

Your friend

Butch Kimball

Advertisements

negative_silent

negative_silent

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
The clicking you mentioned on the hard drive is also called the Click of Death (CoD). When this happens, 9/10 times your hard drive is completely worthless. I have experienced this problem before, you will need to replace the HD.

Hope this helps.

Edited by negative_silent, 21 August 2006 - 09:36 PM.

butch.kimball

butch.kimball

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I thought that might be the problem

thanks again

Butch Kimball