Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless won't connect to unsecured network

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mommaroo

mommaroo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been trying to connect my laptop to a wireless network. There are two networks within range that are unsecured--one shows excellent connectibility, the other good--I can't connect to either, though I have checked to make sure WLAN is enabled. Clicking "repair" does nothing. What can the problem be? :whistling:

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
First, who's network are you tapping into? The local hotel? Neighbor? It may not be a good idea to try it. Also, they might have an Encryption Key, which requires you to enter a key in order to access the network. For some reason, Windows doesn't ask for this, so I need to have an external application if someone wants to connect to my network. Also, they might have setup MAC Addresses, which I don't think show in the security menu for outside network scanners...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The wireless side may be unencrypted but they may be using some internal filter set on the router which isn't obvious - MAC filters - which is just as effective (and less troublesome) than setting actual encryption.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the encryption or security on the wireless network in question is irrellevant...it's obvioius that the OP doesn't own EITHER of these wireless networks...if you're at a hotel...talk to the person at the front desk...if you're at your house....get your own internet connection and your own wireless router....if this IS in fact some form of mutually agreed upon shared wireless network within an apartment complex...talk to whoever set it up....because it LOOKs like you're trying to steal service...then as far as i'm concerned...you are...this thread is now closed...if you have a problem with this...please PM a moderator or an admin