Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows not starting, must I reformat?

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The "Install using default settings" tends to do different things on different machines. On some machines, it will actually do an "In-Place Uprade" or repair. Some other manufacturers use this same option to start a destructive recovery... :whistling:

If you have your data on the F: drive, give the default install option a try. However, if you have data you want to recover from the drive, this operation may overwrite the drive and you would lose the data. I have no way of knowing what this particular machine is going to do with this option.

A quick check to see which drive is making the noise would be to disconnect the power cable from the F: drive and power up. If you still have the noise, it's the C: drive.

Your best option may still be to buy a new hard drive to install windows on. I picked up a 160GB Western Digital drive at Staples a few days ago for $70.00.

Advertisements

cicero

cicero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Quick question, just before I open 'er up... B/c the C: is the master, if I do select the Install Defualts option, won't it only affect the C: drive, or would it perform any actions on the F: as well?
If so, if I unplug some cords from the F: and re-install Windows, will that allow the computer to still run while keeping the stuff on F: safe?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, it will only install to the C: unless directed to do otherwise. But, unless the disk will support the repair option, it will probably want to format the drive. You would lose the data.

cicero

cicero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
So I was hoping to re-install windows on C:, and at the promt, I opted for option 3 which was to install XP with defualts, and after that, I got a setup error message that Windows is unable to find a place for the swap file.
Then I pressed Enter like it said, and it reverted back to an MS-DOS prompt-type screen with the prompt "F:/ I386" and when I typed C:, it gave an invalid drive specification or something liek that.

Any idea what's up?

Edited by cicero, 23 August 2006 - 10:44 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does the C: drive still spinup? How about the noise...still there?

when I typed C:, it gave an invalid drive specification

This is not a good sign. That's saying that that it can't find a C: partition. What may have just happened is the beginning of a destructive recovery as I warned you about in an earlier post.

If the data on that drive is important, this is a good place to stop. Get yourself a new hard drive and install Windows on it. You can connect it in place of the current C:. Most new drives come configured as a master, so installation would be pretty straight forward.

Edited by wannabe1, 23 August 2006 - 10:51 PM.

cicero

cicero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The noise is still there when I start the computer. However, data on C: is not as important as the data on F:,

Should I try the Format.com option for C: and then try option 3 to reinstall Windows?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you can live without the data and feel like experimenting a bit, yes. I really think your drive is failing, though.