Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

recycle bin

• Please log in to reply

woohoofulness

woohoofulness

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
What is the exact location of the Recycle Bin, because it never appears on menus (obviously).....something like C:/blahblah/recycle.....even though I'm pretty sure that that cant be done, a registry address would be fine, i just want something direct. Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you download and install send to toys from my signature, use the full install option, you can right click a file, click send to, send to recycle bin

woohoofulness

woohoofulness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
thats not wat i want, i want to know the location of it...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Files in the recycle bin are stored in C:\RECYCLED on FAT filesystems or in the RECYCLER folder of the disk the file was deleted from on NTFS filesystems. [1] The recycle bin is accessed via the desktop. (In fact it is the only icon shown by default on the Windows XP desktop.) The recycle bin, when accessed from the desktop, has different options and information than what Windows Explorer normally would have as seen from the physical location. In an NTFS environment, users cannot see deleted files in the recycle bin of other users.

Files stored in the Recycle Bin in its physical location are renamed as Dxy.ext where x represents the drive name such as "c", "d" and so on, y a sequential number starting at 1 and ext being the file's original file name extension. The file names are kept as is when viewed from the main recycle bin. A hidden file is created, without an extension, called "info2". This file stores the original files' paths and file names so when the file is removed from the recycle bin and returned to its original directory, the original file name is kept as is. When the file is "deleted" the space on the disk is designated to be erased over by whatever files then are saved on the disk. For instance, if you have a picture deleted on the recycling bin, it is still technically on the physical disk until another file takes its place.