Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive Not even working

• Please log in to reply

Nothingness

Nothingness

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
My "Western Digital External Hard Drive" which is a 400 GB isn't working any more.

I have it pluged in and everything, but when I turn it on, it makes 2 loud clicks then it sounds like it shuts down. Then it stays on, but then I can't shut it down. It doesn't show up in "My Computer".

But if I do have to make a recover, where should I sent it to (cheapest price would be best), or is there programs i can use.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

My "Western Digital External Hard Drive" which is a 400 GB isn't working any more.

I have it pluged in and everything, but when I turn it on, it makes 2 loud clicks then it sounds like it shuts down. Then it stays on, but then I can't shut it down. It doesn't show up in "My Computer".

But if I do have to make a recover, where should I sent it to (cheapest price would be best), or is there programs i can use.

well if it's not being detected most likely you need to send it in if you need the data. Be aware most places want $90-$100+ to diagnos the drive and recover usually runs hundreds to thousands of dollars so you need to decide how important is your data.

--edit--

oh and the only data recovery place we've ever used was Ontrack....

Edited by shard92, 22 August 2006 - 09:07 AM.

Nothingness

Nothingness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, thank you shard92.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
huh before you send that drive in. let's figure out whether or not it's fixable. When did this happen? is it very warm? have you tried different computers. different power cords, different usb cords?
It might be that the enclosure is the part that's broken and the actual hard drive with the data is fine. If that's the case there are many tricks in recovering the data your self. Most online tech mag sites will have a guide in reviving a dead hard drive. there's the classic freezer trick... but unless the data in there is worth like thousands of dollar to you it's really not worth it to send in to any recovery companies.

Nothingness

Nothingness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well this how it went, I deleted about 20 gb of data. But right after I did that it was making a very loud noise, in which it never made before, and it wouldn't shut down. So I unpluged it (I know very, very, bad idea).

But when I turned it back on it makes 2 loud clicks then it sounds like it shuts down. Then it stays on, but then I can't shut it down. It doesn't show up in "My Computer".

Well my data isn't worth much, I was just going to send it back to "WD" and get a replacment, but if i can get my data that would be very awesome. So †Gladiator† do you have a link to these online tech mag sites or how does this "Freezer Trick" work?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Before sending it in, you might want to remove the disk from the case and see if you can access the data that way. It could be that the interface or the power supply has a problem and that the disk is ok.

Once it is connected directly, you could try running a diagnostic program to see if it detects any error. Many companies have a program that you can download for free.

Nothingness

Nothingness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well I can't open my case because that would void the warrent.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Off the shelf units like the WD you describe are usually not intended to be "user serviceable" and some cannot even be opened without damage. If the warranty says opening the case will void the warranty, don't do it. If your WD is under warranty, I suggest filing a warranty claim for replacement.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Well I can't open my case because that would void the warrent.

That means you need to decide which is more important, the warranty or the data. This is why I prefer to put the external disk together myself since then I don't have to worry about that and I can change the disk if I want to.

Nothingness

Nothingness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well I would like to try out the "Freezer Trick" or any other good tips.

Edited by Nothingness, 23 August 2006 - 10:00 PM.