Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to locate outgoing SMTP server

• Please log in to reply

funtmachine

funtmachine

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,

I can no longer send emails. I have tried using outlook, and also mozilla thunderbird. It says that it could not find a connection to the outgoing mail server (smtp) on port 25. I have checked the services.msc list and there is no smtp service running, should there be?

i have also ran an online port scan, and found that there is no service running on port 25, or 110 (pop3)..

Im not sure how XP configures SMTP, but i do know that the outoing server name is correct, and that its not the problem.. Anyone have any ideas?

dave

Edited by funtmachine, 22 August 2006 - 02:44 AM.

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
What isp do you use?

for example

if you use bellsouth

smtp.bellsouth.net (regardless of if you are using bellsouth email this is the smtp for outgoing mail)

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Many ISPs block port 25 to reduce cross domain spam. your ISP has probably done this. you have to use thier outgoing server. I know that Bellsouth does this (mail.bellsouth.net incoming and outgoing) you have to send out on there server no matter were the incoming is from.

funtmachine

funtmachine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
yeh, we use a local isp called etas.

mail.etas.cc is the server address for both the incoming and outgoing servers, and i have been in touch with the guy at etas, and he couldnt work it out. he even came round and tried to fix it to no avail.

maybe i will ring him and find out if they have blocked port 25, in the meantime, is there anything else it could be?

thanks heaps guys,

Dave