Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP service pack 2

• Please log in to reply

LoveFish

LoveFish

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello, i never really kept my computer up to date much but i recently got a xbox 360 and i want to use it to its full potential and it says that it can play music from my computer. well anyways it says i need windows XP service pack 2 or windows media center. I got WindowsXP service pack 1 and when i try to get the update for service pack 2 it comes up with errors saying that it cant back up certain files. it comes up with a new window for each file but there are alot. i dont want to just click ignore. can you help me figure out how to fix this?

Advertisements

LoveFish

LoveFish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
bump

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop

Try the update

LoveFish

LoveFish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
what if i dont have the XP CD?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
is the software installed for x box

Edited by rushin1nd, 24 August 2006 - 09:41 PM.

LoveFish

LoveFish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
No its not installed on the xbox yet, i still have service pack 1. my other computer has SP2 on it though

LoveFish

LoveFish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
sorry but i just got the service pack 2 CD in the mail today (odd) but i also tried to install this but i let it run for a while (maybe an hour or 2, i took a nap) and i come back and it says that it has aborted and then it just uninstalled everything it was doing. i still havnt found a windows xp CD and none of my friends use computers.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
up date service pack 1 then try to install service pack 2

if you cant get service pack 1 cd then find xp cd on line then you just got to get product key and that can be online

Edited by rushin1nd, 05 September 2006 - 11:09 PM.

toasale

toasale

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
There's no telling how much corruption, lost data, etc. you have on this unit due to: Malware, Spyware and Viruses and neglect. Boot into "Safe Mode" by continously tapping the "F8" key as you boot; choose this mode when the menu appears; backup as much of your data (documents, etc.) and restart the unit.

Run an updated deep virus scan before restoring this data to any unit. Me - I'm doing a clean install>

Advertisements

LoveFish

LoveFish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
how do i go about doing a backup?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
backing up registry

step by step

Click start then run,

type regedit then press enter,

click file,

click export,

name the file, note where it is saved to (documents),

click save, the hourglass should show / spin for a while, once complete,

open my documents, the file will look like this with the name you gave it,

right click an empty part of my documents, click new, click folder, create a folder and then move the registry file in to the folder

Edited by rushin1nd, 07 September 2006 - 09:06 PM.

LoveFish

LoveFish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ive done all of that and i still cant install my windows service pack 2 CD. it goes and installs for a little bit ( idunno if its actually installing) but it will just stop and come up with an error saying that it cannot continue. i will try to take a screen shot, i looked on the microsoft page and it didnt have any topics about my porblem.

LoveFish

LoveFish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ive done all of that and i still cant install my windows service pack 2 CD. it goes and installs for a little bit ( idunno if its actually installing) but it will just stop and come up with an error saying that it cannot continue. i will try to take a screen shot, i looked on the microsoft page and it didnt have any topics about my porblem.

toasale

toasale

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
If you've got diagnostic software, I'd suggest running it, especially on your "hard drive", "Bios" & "system board".