Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup problems with xp

• Please log in to reply

bazza

bazza

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I HAVE A NEW COMPUTER WHICH HAS ERATIC STARTUP. WHEN I BOOT THE MACHINE I GET THE XP WINDOW, THEN THE WELCOME WINDOW FOLLOWED BY MY DESKTOP. THIS IS WHERE IT GETS TRICKY. SOMETIMES IT FINISHES BOOTING AND ICONS APPEAR IN STARTUP BAR AND EVERYTHING IS FINE. OTHER TIMES IF I WAIT 5 MINUTES IT WILL FINALLY STARTUP BUT OFTEN I GET NO STARTUP AND AS I CAN'T TURN OF THE MACHINE FROM "START", I HAVE TO CLOSE DOWN MANUALLY AND REBOOT 4 OR 5 TIMES BEFORE IT FINALLY WORKS CORRECTLY. I ONLY HAVE CCAP (NORTONS) RUNNING IN MY STARTUP. I HAVE CONSIDERED I HAVE A SOFTWARE PROBLEM BUT THERE IS NO CONSISTANCY WITH THE WAY THE MACHINE STARTS UP. I SUSPECT IT COULD BE HARDWARE, ALTHOUGH THE GUYS THAT ASSEMBLED THE COMPUTER SAY THAT IN 99.9% OF THE TIME IT IS A SOFTWARE PROBLEM.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
can you get into safemode with networking
check in your device manager for any yellow tiangles and update that driver

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
The rule of thumb, has it been like this from the start, if so I would suspect hardware. Follow ruchin1nd advice.

Two steps;

on keyboard
press: winkey + r
type: devmgmt.msc
press: enter
see if there are any yellow tags on the hardware entries, means they are missing their drivers.

on keyboard
press: winkey + r
type: msconfig
press: enter
mouseclick:startups
remember which ones a enabled for restoring later but for the moment unclick them to see if it is some startup conflict.
reboot computer.

Edited by fleamailman, 22 August 2006 - 09:55 AM.

bazza

bazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS. THERE WERE NO YELLOW TAGS IN DEVMGMT. THE ONLY PROGRAM I HAVE RUNNING ON STARTUP IS NORTONS ANTI-VIRUS 2006. DO YOU THINK THIS COULD CAUSE CONFLICT. I AM A BIT WARY OF RUNNING THE MACHINE WITH NORTONS DISABLED.

Edited by bazza, 22 August 2006 - 04:15 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go start...right click my computer..open..on hard disks right click on c:drive...go to properties...then on the tools tab click it...click check now check both automatically fix errors then scan for and attempt to fix bad sectors click start then reboot .its a slow process but it will scan every thing including free space and make any repairs donot dis able anything else until this done

Edited by rushin1nd, 22 August 2006 - 04:24 PM.

bazza

bazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP FOLKS. CARRIED OUT YOUR SUGGESTIONS BUT THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE. SO I GUESS IT'S BACK TO COMPUTER WRANGLER GUYS. MIND YOU THE COMPUTER DID NOT HAVE A GOOD START. THE HARD DRIVE WAS NOT PLUGGED INTO THE MOTHERBOARD!!!!

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
so i guess you plugged it in does that make a difference at start up

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Since its a new computer did you update with microsoft updates

bazza

bazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
YES..DONE ALL THAT

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
since its new perhaps you should take it back the warranty should cover any deficiencies

bazza

bazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
THANKS. THAT'S THE PLAN. I WILL LET YOU KNOW THE OUTCOME.