Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bittorrent + Firewall Issues

• Please log in to reply

HunterXretnuH

HunterXretnuH

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I used to love using ZoneAlarm untill i found out how it cuts connections when I have alot of connections coming to the computer. Now I've found out Sygate has the same setup except this time something has been left which is still hindering my download speeds. Before this install I had green lights all the way and now after removal and reboot nothing but yellow still. I've reinstalled the bittorrent Client and same problem. Any help would be great, thx.

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Some firewalls disable certian ports as well as people being able to ping your computer...

Bittorrent, Kazaa, Morpheus etc... use pinging as people connect to you to download stuff as well as you ping someone to search for a file, and when that file tries to send to you it cannot because your firewall is locking it out...

the best thing to do, is either
a: get a router so you dont need a firewall, because the router auto configures such things.
b: simply enable bittorrent the max level of privledge on your firewall, in other words allow its ports.

Also make sure your windows xp firewall is off. You dont need more than 1 firewall, and if you already have a router you are hooked up to, get rid of your firewalls... Nothing is better than a router and you definetly dont need both.

HunterXretnuH

HunterXretnuH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No router or firewall, some firewalls take multiple connections as an attack even if the program has full rights from what ive read. This is the problem, how can a firewall which has been uninstalled still cause me weak connections? My guess is that their is a port closed on my computer and I dont know how to undo what the firewall has done. You would think the uninstall reversed it all, guess not.