Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explain quartz dll files and stuttering problems !

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,
Hope i am posting in the correct forum :help:

I have had some ongoing problems with watching live tv on my pc, which i have just about put up with, but recently, someone suggested that there might be a problem with the quartz dll file installed.
Now first off,, i dont really know a lot about quartz dll files,, and even googling it seems to only bring up fix dll files pages. Cant seem to find out a whole lot about them.

I have a fairly decent pc, which i bought a few months ago,,, running fine, no probs.
I have an x700 se video card , and a happaugue pvr 150 tv card.

Cable wise, all is set up correctly, and via my sky box, i have hundreds of channels to choose from, as well as the cabability to record old vcr tapes directly onto my harddrive for converting to dvd.
As far as happaugue are concerned, the card is set up correctly, and optomised for best picture quality.

Right,, the problems. !!! :whistling:

Whilst watching tv on my pc,, anything that is fast moving, ie/ a football game, or action movie becomes a little blurry. Football players have pixelated edges when they are running.
Its very annoying.
The second problem,, which is more relavent is, every few minutes, i get an artifact with the live tv.
It drops a frame, or stutters for a split second, but this is enough to send the audio out of sync with the video.

Now,, i have read somewhere, that this is a known problem that can resolved by using an earlier version of the quartz dll file. Something to do with a ms hotfix, that rendered the latest quartz file to be problematic.

I would really like some advice on this,, or even better, to hear from someone who has been through this before and has resolved the issues.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,, :blink:
Cheers, kev.

Edited by rxkevco, 22 August 2006 - 07:53 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you download and install this

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thanks Keith,
Downloaded and installed as advised. :whistling:

I think ( so far ),, its stopped the audio going out of sync.
Sorry, let me re-phrase that. Its still going out of sync,, but, its recovering and going back in sync within a few seconds, rather than just gettin worse as previously.

Dont know what to do about the picture though,, its still really annoying watching football.
Its almost there,, but just not quite as sharp as i expected.

Do you think a better graphics card would make that much of a difference ???

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How much RAM Memory is installed

Have you run disc defragmenter recently

If you click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, click disable all, click apply and reboot, when windows gets to the desktop, click do not start the configuration utility

Does it run any better

If you need to go online, check the firewall and any anti virus and anti spyware programmes are running

To reverse it, click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, put the dot in normal start up, click apply and reboot

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi Keith,
I have 2 gig of ram,, with 72% free, according to everest.

Have just tried the msconfig >>> no change really, cant honestly say i have noticed any difference ?

Pretty stumped really,, pc is only 3 months old, has 3ghz cpu, lots of ram, lots of hdd space, good graphics, good tv card directly connected to a sky box, 20" lcd screen.

I am convinced my old slow pc had a better picture, same graphics, same tv card ??? puzzled.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
ATI have 6.8 out now, did you try those, or go back to using the drivers on the CD which came with the card

If you know the KB number of the hotfix you mentioned, use add remove with show updates ticked to uninstall it

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi Keith,
Am not altogether sure which hotfix it was.

It was all something to do with checking which version of dx9 you have, in my case ver 4.09.0000.0904.
Then comparing that with the version of quartzdll, in my case 6.05.2600.2749.
If there was a difference,, which it appears there is, then it was something to do with hotfix kb904706.

Dont quite understand how to proceed though.

It wasnt a fix for all pcs, and only worked in a few cases.

Cant even remember where i read it,, i only remembered to right down the patch code.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click start, control panel, add and remove, check show updates is ticked at the top, look for the KB number in hotfixes, usually at the bottom

You can click to uninstall it to see how things are, if no change you can re-install it from updates

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Deleted the hotfix,, no change at all.
Besides which, ms update kicked in anyway and re installed the fix, but only after i rebooted and tried the tv card .
Dont know what to say Keith. Thanks very much for your perseverance, but nothing seems to be working.
Picture stays the same.
From what i remember, rolling back to a previous version of quartz stopped the picture from stuttering, which in turn meant that there was no drop in audio sync.
Have searched high and low, but cant seem to find the article i read.
I was quite suprised when i read it, cos it seemed to be quite a prevelant problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Should be a good place to ask

http://www.hauppauge...thread.php?t=41

Advertisements

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thanks for the link Keith,
Am already a member of the Happaugue forum, but unfortunatly there isnt much help over there.
Have had a better responce over here, as i expected.

Am in the middle of downloading the ATI catylist drivers at the moment.
Will post back later on when they are installed.
You never know, it might make a difference, big file though, nearly 35mb.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There is also .net framework 2 if you haven't got it

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Think i am getting in over my head here :whistling:

What is the .net framework 2 ????
Whats it for and how will it help with this current problem ??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
ATI cards use .net framework 1.1

version 2 is the latest version of it

If you check Microsoft Update then check the optional ones to see if .net 2 is there

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Right,, thanks for that.
Will check out ms, and download it if i havent already got it.
Even though the pc is only a few months old, its not unrealistic to think its already out of date.

Once again, thanks for your perseverance.
Cheers, kev.