Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Archiving emails - Outlook 2000

• Please log in to reply

Kzayaz

Kzayaz

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hey guys

I need help archiving emails and possibly throwing archives on CDs. I suspect my Outlook takes up a LOT of space on C drive.

Any tips? suggestions?
Needless to say, I cannot afford to lose any emails.

Thanks

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
You could make a new .pst file, put all your old e-mails in there, and then save the archive .pst to a CD. If you like I can walk you through this.

Kzayaz

Kzayaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I have tried that once before, but my computer always hung up while working with .pst file (transfering to another location or burning it on the CD).

If possible, can you please provide detailed instructions, perhaps I was doing something wrong.... :whistling:

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Sure. I'm working with Outlook 2003, and they are pretty much the same, but if you don't see something let me know and I'll help you find it.

First, go to the File menu, and pick Data File Management...

Now, click the Add... button.

Pick a file name and click OK.

Now, pick a name for the folder and click OK. You can change the settings if you like, but it's not necessary.

Now, move any e-mails and folders that you want to save into that folder.

Once you have moved all the files you need, close Outlook.

Open My Computer and browse to C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\your new file.pst.

Check out how big the file is. A CD-R can hold either 650MB or 700MB depending on what type you get, so if it's bigger you won't be able to save the file on one disk.

If it's small enough you should be able to burn it to a CD. If it's too big, you can get some free back up software that will span mutiple disks.

Let me know if you run into any problems.

Kzayaz

Kzayaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
thanks, I think the problem in the past was the fact that .pst files were huge, since I created .pst files for each of 2003, 2004, and 2005. Thanks for the backup software suggestion.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Yeah, big files can really cause a headache. Winbackup will span mutiple disks so you should be able to avoid that problem.