Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm a bit Dumbfounded

• Please log in to reply

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Oh, I thought you were talking about graphics card memory. DDR and DDR2 actually use different pin spacing, so either your motherboard supports DDR or DDR2. Not both.

Yeah, I know what you mean about affording a new system. I like to dream too, but as long as mine works I can't really justify a new computer to my wife. :whistling:

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Oops, double post.

Edited by fructose, 13 October 2006 - 05:08 PM.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Oh, I thought you were talking about graphics card memory. DDR and DDR2 actually use different pin spacing, so either your motherboard supports DDR or DDR2. Not both.

Yeah, I know what you mean about affording a new system. I like to dream too, but as long as mine works I can't really justify a new computer to my wife. :blink:

I kno what you mean (except the wife part...single :whistling: )

How fast saved money gets spent...Dollar here dollar there....took me forever to get the money for the ATI but I'm working on getting more money...my friend built me a dell (online) and said its pretty goood and only 500 (of course its lacking a few things [only 80 GB Harddrive]) but hey its another thing in the back of my mind I could do...

right now I'm looking at my specs to see if my Motherboard supports DDR2...

I mean my RAM is " PC2700 DDR SDRAM" but I don't know if the DDR in that means anything....

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 13 October 2006 - 07:05 PM.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Your motherboard should only support DDR RAM, since DDR and DDR2 are quite different in internal design. The performance gains from better RAM isn't too obvious unless you are on the extreme high end of performance, so I'd just look into getting more. You will definetly notice a difference, since you won't be using the page file as much.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
something had occured to me the other day...the guy in the store said that I'd need atleast a gig of RAM to run the nVidia 7600, but what if instead of replacing both sticks of 256 with sticks of 512 I were to just remove one stick of 256 and replace it with a stick of 1 GB.....

would that be possible or do both sticks have to be the same amount to work efficiently....