Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Fdisk help!

• Please log in to reply

mizzkira

mizzkira

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
The other night i had to do a system recovery. it is stuck on a page that says ntldr is compressed hit ctr alt del. The techs at best buy where i bought the machine told me i needed to download fdisk on it. well problem is i can't cause i can't get past that page. and i downloaded it to a disk but it won't load when the pc starts. can someone help me the pc is windows xp service pack 2 (or it was) and it's only 4 months old and i'm about to trhow it in the trash (really i am lol)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have an XP CD, recovery CD or a recovery partition

mizzkira

mizzkira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
i have it on disk as well as the d drive. i've tried using both to no avail. that's why they told me i had to clear off my hard drive with the fdisk and then reinstall with the cd. it's compressed or something. and i'm confused

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got any data on the drive you need

Is it a recovery CD

mizzkira

mizzkira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
it is a recovery cd. and when i first ran it it did it's thing, restarte and then told me at the page you would hit f11 for recovery that the n thing was compressed and to hit the ctrl alt del button won't let me do anything but restart and to do the recovery cd thing again but it won't go past that page

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi mizzkira...

Does your machine have a floppy drive on it?

wannabe1

mizzkira

mizzkira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
nope only a disk drive no floppys

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are you able to burn ISO Images to cd?

Go HERE. Scroll down to Super FDisk and download it (it's free). Follow the instructions within the program to create a bootable cd.

Once you have this created, let me know and we'll see if we can format that partition.

mizzkira

mizzkira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
ok, i had to install nero cause i couldn't get it to burn right without it. i haven't done anything else cause i only have one place to hook up the other pc. so i'll be switching back and forth from the one that doesn't work to this one. so please bear with me. the disk should be done burning by the time i get done posting this. thank you so much for your help this pc i'm on sucks it's slow and older :whistling: