Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up wireless at school

• Please log in to reply

Exdeus

Exdeus

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi all. I have no problem setting up a wireless connection, but at my school it can be slightly more complicated.

We aren't supposed to have wireless connections for some reason, but I need one so I can bring my laptop anywhere in the room or our suite room. Heres how the connection runs. We have one ethernet line running into our room that then goes into a wired router or splitter. We then split this connection to my computer and my room mates. After we do this, when we turn on our computer it takes us to our schools webpage where it runs some kind of check on our computers then has us shut our computer down for up to three hours while it registers our computer into the network.

Is this going to be as easy as just replacing their router with my wireless router, or will this be a complicated process? Thanks for any help you can provide me with on this, as I know it is somewhat vague.

Advertisements

Admiral Justin

Admiral Justin

Visiting Staff

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
It's quite likely that if you're using their router, that you will not be able to set up a wireless access point which will work. Their routers sound like they are configured in a rather rigid format, and any unknown attempts will be blocked.

Another issue is that they may ban wireless to prevent unauthorized access from an unsecured access point, and that attempting to circumvent this restriction will result in displinary actions.

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

It's quite likely that if you're using their router, that you will not be able to set up a wireless access point which will work. Their routers sound like they are configured in a rather rigid format, and any unknown attempts will be blocked.

Another issue is that they may ban wireless to prevent unauthorized access from an unsecured access point, and that attempting to circumvent this restriction will result in displinary actions.

I do understand that, however, I know that it has been set up in the buildings before by people I know. However, I am no longer in contact with the one guy I know of that did it. So probably no way then?