Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hijacked or not?

• Please log in to reply

cuparboy

cuparboy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a situation where I cannot fully close my browser, which is IE at the moment.

Using Windows Task Manager to close all incidences of IE works fine until the final one, when it just re-opens itself.

I have tried closing every non-system programme in Task Manager and have found that the only one which allows IE to be closed is closing explorer.exe (Windows Explorer).

The same was true when I used Firefox.

I have a vague memory of checking a box to allow system applications (and wondering why explorer.exe would want to) to access the internet and suspect that this problem is caused by some sort of update programme.

I have used the online analysis of Hijack This reports and there is nothing untoward about them.

I have made no alterations to Windows except some security patches.

This problem prohibits the use of a cleaning programme (Crap Cleaner in my case) as, being unable to close the browser, all temp files etc. are left in situ.

Can anyone help?

Thanks if you've managed to read all of this!

Edit: My Panda is up to date as are Ad aware, SpyBot and Spyware Doctor, none of which help this particular situation.

Edited by cuparboy, 22 August 2006 - 01:51 PM.

Advertisements