Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow and irregular wireless internet connection

• Please log in to reply

Ben Garman

Ben Garman

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,

Wondering if anyone could help: my wireless internet just recently seemed to deteriorate suddenly and become slow and irregular, sometimes not loading pages, sometimes loading them quickly, sometimes half loading them and seeming to get stuck.

I am free of spyware/ adware (98% certain) thanks to one of your staff, and I use Mozilla Firefox as my default browser. My router is a NETGEAR FIREWALL ROUTER DG834G. My laptop is a Dell Latitude D510. Up until now it has been fine, and i suspect the sudden lag is due to the installation of Panda Titanium Antivirus 2006 on my computer since it is around that time i noticed the drop in speed. My own guess is that the Panda firewall and the Router one might be conflicting? The thing is, my brothers laptops sometimes act similarly, and i'm not sure whether the conflict would affect them if Panda is only on my machine...

My wireless signal strength fluctuates from Very Good to Excellent, so it isn't that!

So far the router has worked wonders, so i'm sure its not a problem as such, just a configuration issue...

Any help mightily appreciated!

Ben

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. You might try resetting the modem and router by simply unplugging them for about 30 seconds, and then first restoring the router, wait 15 seconds, connect the modem, wait 15 seconds, and then see if the computer connects. I usually turn the computers off when I do this, but that's just becuase I'm paranoid lol YOu should beo fine in either occassion.

Ben Garman

Ben Garman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
thanks, i'll give it a go and report back!

Ben Garman

Ben Garman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
that didn't really work no. I didn't think it would because i haven't changed any router settings since installing it, so it is as the factory created it. Any other ideas?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
You might consider removing Panda and replacing it with AVG. That might be the issue.

Ben Garman

Ben Garman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
surely i can just turn off the router firewall, but i don't know how. I went into the admin panel, but it all seemed abit complicated. Besides, i am otherwise very happy with Panda...and i'm not entirely sure thats the issue anyway. That seems a pretty complicated method of finding out...

Edited by Ben Garman, 23 August 2006 - 10:59 AM.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
The hardware firewall is the way to go as it offloads the processing power to the router.

And I am not the biggest fan of software firewalls as they tend to cause more problems than they are worth.

:whistling:

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
did you go to your control panel click on systems click on hardware click on device manager look for network adapters see if your router is there are there any yellow marks beside it if so right click and update it

if theres none just uninstall the drivers computer will reinstall them then perform an update

START CONTROL PANEL ..SYSTEM...HARDWARE...DEVICE MANAGER..NETWORK ADAPTERS..CLICK ON + RIGHT CLICK ON ROUTER CLICK ON UNINSTALL (((COMPUTER NOTES THE CHANGE REINSTALLS IT))) THEN YOU RIGHT CLICK IT AGAIN AND PERFORM UPDATE

Other wise you can remove the battery and press the power button down for about a minute to get rid of any static that some how interferes with router