Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Low Space On XP 'C Drive' For No Reason?

• Please log in to reply

hysteria

hysteria

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hi Guys,

I've been having a strange problem recently. When I bought this computer originally it has a C-Drive with 8.79 Gigs or so, but only 2 of the 8.79 were usable. I came to terms with it because the computer also had a D-Drive capable of 60 Gigs or so. It was technically a 'Storage' drive, and the last time I was here - I was told to use a partition manager. But last time the directions on that weren't so clear, and I wasn't sure how to do it, so I just didn't. I don't have the original XP disc on me because we got this computer from someone else - so I wouldn't be able to reinstall it. The really frustrating thing is that I can't delete anything! Nothing will delete! I even use the program 'Unlocker' that I got from the forums here, and nothing will delete. My C-Drive (my main Drive) has only 50 megabytes left, and that was after finding ONE program that I was able to somehow delete. It was like 267 kb. I don't evenhave any files stored on my C-Drive really! I am able to log on the computer and use the Internet, and I'm pretty crafty with ending the right processes so that the computer runs faster, but this is just ridiculous. It's almost like I don't have enough memory to delete anything from the disc - not even an image file or text document. I don't know what the [bleep]'s going on, but I'd really like to get more memory on the disc, hopefully the full 8, but at least the 2. A while back I bought an outside-storage (Now my H-Drive) with a crapload of memory. So I always transfer everything to my D and the H. But Even if I do transfer the documents, it won't transfer all of them or it won't let me delete the crap from my C Drive later (and that's as of recently). So what should I do now? Formatting? Partitioning? If anyone could help me with a step by step process, or recommend a program that works, I would apprecaite it. When Unlocker suggests to delete the file after reboot, I will reboot my computer then it will freeze, then I have to reboot it again and then it forgets that it was even going to delete that file. It's like it never did anything and won't. I'm very confused and frustrated - and any help you guys can give me is very much appreciated. You guys are the best.

So once again, :whistling: & Thanks! :blink:
Daniel

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, disc clean up, click more options, clean up restore points, confirm, hold off clicking OK, if you see the hard drive light go red, wait till it goes off, click OK

Reboot and check the clear space on C

Running disc defragmenter may help

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Okay, well - that freed up about 28 more megabytes. I have something like 78 megabytes free now. I've deleted all of my temporary Internet files, so it's really something wrong with the drive. I'll show you 1 of 2 messages I received through screenshots.

Posted Image

And yes ^ All of those programs in my lower bar were shut down, because I do know about the processes and lists. So the real problem was the message.

I also tried to run disc-defragment but it told me that I had to run Check-Disc, and to do that I have to restart. It's asked me that the last few times I've restarted, but everytime I tried to run it the computer would freeze. It's a total Catch-22. So I've usually skipped it by pressing 'Enter' a bunch of times. I'm going to restart again, because the programs told me they 'scheduled' the computer to run the program when I reboot again. I've often tried to run Disc-Defragment in the past, but it's always said that I never had enough space to defragment the entire drive (even with the 2 gigs I did have free). So here goes nothing - I'll be back to report in a few minutes.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do your media players save a copy to the music library whenever you play anything?

Are things like media files only stored on D

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Okay so, everything happened like I thought it would. I restart, try to let it run checkdisc (it says it completes it -- but look to the attached files for what actually happens) - then it messes up and I get all of the following error messages -- after I have to reset the computer manually.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The attachments show what happens at my startup, I took them with my digital camera since you obviously can't use Print-Screen. Do these help any?

Edit: *Oh! And no --- I am smart about my media, it's all saved to my D and H drives. There is no media whatsoever on my C, I even have a makeshift "Program Files" folder with all my programs like Photoshop running off of my D Drive.

Attached Thumbnails

• startup.JPG
  • startup2.JPG

Edited by hysteria, 22 August 2006 - 06:15 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD

Click start then run, type cmd then press enter

At the command prompt type fsutil dirty query c: (or the relevant drive letter). This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty.

Next type CHKNTFS /X C: The X tells Windows not to check that particular drive on the next reboot.

Reboot, it should load to the desktop

Once Windows has loaded bring up another CMD prompt and type Chkdsk /f /r c:

This should take you through the 5 stages of the scan and will unset the dirty bit.

At a command prompt, type fsutil dirty query c and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Alright, I'm now typing to you from another computer. Your last post instructed me to type that into command post and reboot. Well - it did skip the part where it would show me what I put in my previous attachments, but now it won't even start! It's stuck at the "Windows is Loggin On" screen! I've restarted it manually 3-4 times and it's still stuck there! I'm trying to stay cool, so any advice you have to say - I will heed it. All I want my computer to do now is start! :)

:whistling: :blink: :help:
Daniel

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is the bit you typed

Next type CHKNTFS /X C: The X tells Windows not to check that particular drive on the next reboot.

It rebooted and won't load?

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

This is the bit you typed

It rebooted and won't load?

That's correct; now I'm using my little bro's computer to type to you. I'm very confused man, anything we can do about this? It's in the other room and it won't load.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does anyone you know have a same version XP CD you can borrow

Advertisements

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Unfortuneately not man.. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi hysteria...

Weird...never seen chkdsk do that... :whistling:

Try booting to the Safe Mode options screen (tap the F8 key during the boot sequence) and see if it will start using the "Last known good configuration" option.

wannabe1

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Okay I'll try that. I also like to get things done quickly so check back in a few minutes okay? Thanks man.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Okay - it has started. I am still typing on my little bro's computer, but I'm going to transfer back to mine and type to you from there. Hopefully it will start working again, and hopefully when the next reboot comes it won't do this. Is there anything I should do from here on?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Give me a bit to review... :whistling: