Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Low Space On XP 'C Drive' For No Reason?

• Please log in to reply

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Give me a bit to review... :whistling:

No problem! I'm available right now so I'll just hang out. :blink: Thank you both!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We're going to need to run that chkdsk, but we'll do it a little differently.

Open a command window (Start > Run > type cmd > click "Ok").

At command prompt, type chkdsk /d and press "Enter". <---sets chkdsk defaults

Then type chkdsk /r and press "Enter".

It's going to tell you the volume is busy and ask if you want to run this at the next reboot...type Y and press "Enter".

Reboot...hold breath... :whistling:

Edited by wannabe1, 22 August 2006 - 07:42 PM.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Okay I did that saying "Here goes nothing" to myself. lol

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Keep me posted on your progress... :whistling:

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Whoa sorry my computer went slow and did not post all of what I was typing in the last post -- Sorry.

Here is what I was writing:

"Okay I did that saying "Here goes nothing" to myself.

So I'm uploading a small video showing exactly what happened when I followed those steps.
Even though it was almost exactly 1 megabyte, it still wouldn't fit on the attachment (I don't know why).

So here is a yousendit link, it's safe - trust me I wouldn't send you anything bad and you know more about that than anybody.

http://www.yousendit...648EA162CB601B7

It just did the same thing it's been doing, but at least it starts this time! :whistling:

Oh, but when it started up, every program that started up gave me warning signs that it was "corrupt" like the pictures I put on the last page of this thread.

Does this help you any?

I'll be here.
Daniel "

Thanks man!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That is really bazaar!

Let me see if I can duplicate that on my XP machine... :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have SpyWare Doctor or ZoneAlarm installed on the machine?

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

That is really bazaar!

Let me see if I can duplicate that on my XP machine... :whistling:

Fo real! What I was actually saying on the tape (to start up the computer) was that when you originally get to that screen, you press the enter button to bypass it. Then you get a few error messages, then the computer starts up, you get a few more error messages. Then I end some processes, and I'm back here.
So, blah. Thanks for helping me man.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Do you have SpyWare Doctor or ZoneAlarm installed on the machine?

No, but I could - they are at my disposal.
I do, however have other programs called Kaspersky Antivirus and Lavasoft Ad-Aware(for spyware).

Edit: Nevermind, Lavasoft isn't working for some reason (prob. due to the problem at hand), but Kaspersky is running.

Edited by hysteria, 22 August 2006 - 08:13 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Actually, I would have had you uninstall them.

I have been unable to duplicate that on my XP machine.

When you input chkdsk /d...did you get an invalid parameter error?

Advertisements

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Well I don't believe that those programs are in any way inhibiting me from using the computer, if that's what you're getting at.

But about the parameter error, I do remember seeing that. I did get that error, but I thought it was just part of the plan in what you guys were asking me to do in the command prompt. Thank you for making time to help me. This is really bugging the crap out of me. I'll be checking back for responses.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Those programs won't interfere with the running of the machine, but they have both been know to cause problems running chkdsk.

So chkdsk isn't going to default...Let me see if I can find a way around that...be back with what I find.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Guys! I've got some good news, and (sigh) some bad news.

Well Okay, Since yesterday I was able to find a bootable XP Professional Service Pack 2 Disc.
(I never knew how to use the BIOS or what it was, and now I do!)

Yeah! I can't believe I found it either, a friend lent it to me. :help:

My little brother's computer had some problems with it, so I tested it out on his, and now it's completely formatted and back to being perfect!

So get this :blink: -- here is the lame part: I put it in my own computer and right as it is setting up, it'll kind of go for a minute then say that some random file on my computer is corrupt and that 'Setup Cannot Continue' or 'Setup Must Exit.' I've tried it a few times and it always chooses a different file. I've already cleaned whatever files I needed from the C-Drive of mine to my other drives.

I have a question though - if we are able to make this work, I'd like to install windows possible on my D-Drive ---- if we did that, would it have to erase everything on there? There's a lot of space on it, but there's also a lot of space I haven't used. And transfering it to my huge H-Drive would take forever. My H-Drive is USB external so we can't use that (The D is storage and internal).

Anyways, after that's all said and done it'll make me restart where I will then bypass the cd-booting, and it will go through the whole lame-ordeal that we have been going through.

If it helps, I can try it again and take pictures of the part where it says error with my digital camera. It happens before it even enters the part where you would choose the partitions, the very beginning of the XP setup process.

Just tell me what I should do next, because now we have another comrade on our team. :whistling:

Edited by hysteria, 23 August 2006 - 04:12 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you have XP Pro on the machine originally? We may have to completely wipe the drive to get a good install.

Yes, installing windows on the other drive will overwrite any data that's on it.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Did you have XP Pro on the machine originally? We may have to completely wipe the drive to get a good install.

Yes, installing windows on the other drive will overwrite any data that's on it.

Yes I have XP Pro Service Pack 2 Version 2002 on the machine.

Okay, **edited** -- if we wipe my C-Drive and reinstall windows, how much space do you think it'd take up of the 8 gigs? It only seemed to take up 2 of the 37 that my little bro had on his computer. I'd like to wipe ONLY my C Drive and then reinstall windows xp on there.

How would we go about 'wiping' my drive to get the good install?

*Sorry if that is a little confusing, to reitterate (spelling?)

I have 3 Drives:

C -- Corrupt, 8 gig, only 1.5 works
D -- Storage, lots of space
H -- Huge External Storage Drive

Edited by hysteria, 23 August 2006 - 05:04 PM.