Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Very Low Space On XP 'C Drive' For No Reason?

• Please log in to reply

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Alright, I'm going to try this out, and remember -- at all times I have access to another computer in another room where I can type to you what exactly is going on. I might try to make some video clips as well if that's okay. I'll be keeping you up to date :whistling: Thanks man for you help. :blink:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
On the next screen:
F8.gif
Press F8

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Okay - on the lil bro's computer.

This is what I see before I even get to the first screenshot you posted.

I recognize the shots you are posting because I did it on my this computer last night.

:whistling:
Daniel

edit: then when you press any key to exit, like it says -- the computer just restarts

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00924.JPG

Edited by hysteria, 23 August 2006 - 07:15 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did this disk install Windows on your brothers machine?

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
It sure did; I'm typing on it right now. My friend helped me last night to find the registry key though. I didn't do that part. But I did the rest, installing and choosing and formatting the partitions.

What it says in the screenshot there is kind of similar to the messages I receive upon startup, if that helps.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...do you have a floppy drive?

That's the file that's messing up the chkdsk, too... :whistling:

Edited by wannabe1, 23 August 2006 - 07:26 PM.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Yes I do have a floppy drive, but there is no diskette in it - nor do I have one pertaining to Windows XP.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's ok...we're going to get past your error using DOS. Scrounge up and format a floppy disk. Remove it from the floppy drive once it's formatted.

Do the following in order.
  • Download this Win98se Bootdisk and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the downloaded file.
  • Put the formatted floppy disk in the drive when prompted to do so.
Let me know when you have this disk created. We'll use this disk to remove the partitions from the hard drive.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Okay hold on, I'm having a hard time finding a blank floppy disk :whistling:

-- and I formatted it but it gave me errors when I tried to use the program you gave me

I found one but it was some bootdisk for a reallllly old printer. Let me look for a few more minutes; I might ask my neighbor, he might have one.

Edited by hysteria, 23 August 2006 - 07:50 PM.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Well, is there any other way we can do this? I'm sorry, I just don't have a floppy disk. It's outdated. I mean I can run to BestBuy, but I don't know how much longer you're going to be on, and my neighbor wasn't home to lend me one. Or maybe we can figure out why this one disk won't format right?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
To format the floppy, put it in the drive.

Open "My Computer" and right click on the floppy drive...choose Format and follow the prompts.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I did do that; it gave me some trouble at first but I was able to do it, using the various 'quick format' options. But then when I tried to write over it with that program you gave me it would go to like 2% and say that it could not complete the write.

Edit: Here's a screenshot of one of the errors, I can 'ignore' this and it will continue writing 2 more percent, then it will give me another error. My senses tell me that's not good.

Attached Thumbnails

• dododo.JPG

Edited by hysteria, 23 August 2006 - 08:19 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you try a full format?

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Yes I did, but it didn't want to do it after a few times.

Okay --- here's a strange thing. I think it went to 99 or 100% and closed.

Now I've accessed the floppy from My Computer, and the attached is the list of files (are these the correct ones? check date),

but once or twice during the process I got those errors [see attachment in previous post], is that something I should be worried about?

Attached Thumbnails

• files.JPG

Edited by hysteria, 23 August 2006 - 08:23 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Those are the very files we need... :whistling:

Leave the floppy in the drive, take the XP cd out of the cd-rom drive, and restart. It will (hopefully) boot to the floppy. If it doesn't, we may have to adjust the boot priority.

When you get to a screen with options listed on it, press Shift + F5 to go to a command prompt.

Let me know when you get to the command prompt (A:\) or if it fails to boot to the floppy.