Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Low Space On XP 'C Drive' For No Reason?

• Please log in to reply

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Okay it didn't boot to the disc when the BIOS was set in this order: CD-ROM, Hard-Drive, Floppy.

So I tried in this order: Floppy, CD-ROM, Hard-Drive -- and when it got to the screen where it would usually say "Press Any Key to Boot From Disc" for the CD-ROM booting, it kind of froze, or really did nothing. I pressed buttons and had to restart myself.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We need to try this using a new (fresh out of the box) floppy. These bootdisks are real finicky about that.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Alright then, I guess we'll just have to wait until tomorrow. I'll head to BestBuy and pick up a few. See you tomorrow, and thanks for all the help!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My Pleasure... :whistling:

Once we get past that error, the rest should be cake.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Alright Wannabe, I bought some brand spankin' new disks, and I've formatted the first one on the first try with no problem whatsoever! (Edit: And by format I mean I was able to use that program you gave me called "boot98se")

I've got 9 more disks - so if one doesn't work out for some reason: I've got more!

Are you ready? You know I am, Home-G :whistling: !

Edited by hysteria, 24 August 2006 - 08:04 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...where we at? Are you at the A:\ prompt or have you not booted to the floppy yet?

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Well I've made the floppy disk, but I haven't booted or anything. (edit: was waiting for you)

I do this right?

Leave the floppy in the drive, take the XP cd out of the cd-rom drive, and restart. It will (hopefully) boot to the floppy. If it doesn't, we may have to adjust the boot priority.

When you get to a screen with options listed on it, press Shift + F5 to go to a command prompt.

Let me know when you get to the command prompt (A:\) or if it fails to boot to the floppy.

Should I set the BIOS to boot from the floppy first? A certain order? Floppy, CD-Rom, Hard-drive? ..... or Floppy Hard-drive CD-Rom?

Edited by hysteria, 24 August 2006 - 08:45 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Set it to Floppy first...then HDD...then cd-rom for now. We'll be changing it iagain in a little while.

Restart with the floppy in the drive and whan you see the Options screen, press Shift + F5. That will take you to a command prompt.

Let me know when you are at the A:\ prompt.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Okay I'm at the A:\ Prompt (typing from another computer currently) - What's the next step?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Type fdisk and press "Enter".

You will be presented with a list of options. Choose the option to show partition information and post that info here for me.

Advertisements

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Okay, I typed fdisk and it brought me to this. What do I do from here?

Edit: It did not bring me to an options page it just went straight to the attached picture.

Attached Thumbnails

• yesorno.JPG

Edited by hysteria, 24 August 2006 - 09:06 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Oops....forgot about the large disk support... :whistling:

Type Y and prss "Enter".

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Okay I'll tell you what I did in order or attachments, and what I pressed at each screen.

1) Pressed Y
2) Pressed Option 4
3) Information is shown on this Screen, Pressed Y
4) Was brought to this screen - is where I am at now.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00928.JPG
  • DSC00929.JPG
  • DSC00930.JPG
  • DSC00932.JPG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You have a recovery partition on the drive. as an extended partition. To do this, we'll have to delete that parition first.

Press Esc until you get back to the 4 options and choose option 3 "Delete partition or logical DOS drive" and press "Enter"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The screenshots are very helpful... :whistling:

We need to delete that small partition.