Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Low Space On XP 'C Drive' For No Reason?

• Please log in to reply

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Okay well it didn't give me an option to create the 2nd floppy. After I made the first it just said "label the disc 1 out of 2" and then it took me back to the main screen. So I don't know how that's going to play in here, but I will definetely try to boot with the disc that I was able to make. I will edit this post with a screenshot in just a few minutes.

1st edit: crap - it's asking me to insert disc 2, it didn't start up like windows normally does with the 'del' to enter up setup screen * BIOS. it just went to this sort of screen. i am going to try and create disc 2 somehow. but here is a screenshot to update.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00956.JPG

Edited by hysteria, 25 August 2006 - 12:51 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try creating them again...this time by double clicking the file. This application will write over just about anything so you can reuse the first disk.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Okay maybe I just didn't see the option called 'Continue' last time :whistling:

I have both discs created (re-writing over the first disc in order to make both).

I will now go boot with both of these discs and take screenshots as I see fit. Thanks man; I will edit this post with pics and questions in a few minutes.

Alright, I'm running out of 'Global Space' -- I think I've uploaded way too many pics in this thread. Let me put them in a zip and give them to you over a YSI link.

Click Here For my DiscWizard Pictures - Part 1

Edited by hysteria, 25 August 2006 - 01:10 AM.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Bump: DW-Part 1 Pictures

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Beauty!...answer "Yes"

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Where to now Cappin'? :whistling:

edit: also at this part, it does not recognize your mouse, but you are able to get around with the arrow keys and such

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00970.JPG

Edited by hysteria, 25 August 2006 - 01:26 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click "Setup your harddisk"

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Before I leave I'll leave you with this screenshot. Be back in 15.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00972.JPG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Primary Master

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Did and Done.

It brought me to this screen, and when you click 'done' it'd bring you back to the main screen.

What's next bro?

man! the computer is going slow + it failed to edit for the last 3 minutes + it won't let me even upload a picture now.

here's a link to the picture

http://www.yousendit...395D9244F37D1FB

Edited by hysteria, 25 August 2006 - 02:05 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Remove the floppy disk, put the XP cd in the drive and reboot.

Enter BIOS Setup and set the boot priority as follows:
  • cd-rom
  • HDD
  • Floppy
Let it boot to the cd. You need to create a partition, do a FULL format, and install Windows. There is a good guide HERE.

It's 2AM here and time for this old guy to hit the sack. It should be pretty straight forward from here...if you do run into problems, tomorrow is another day and you are very close to having your machine back... :whistling:

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Thank you man! You've done your good deed for the year :whistling: ! I will be sure to give you the news tomorrow! Talk to you later man,

-Daniel

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
So at first the installation wasn't working at all. Then after I retried a million times for some reason it was able to install the WINDOWS Folder in the C:\ Drives's files. I'm basically at the windows setup screen now everytime I turn the computer on (where it says 39 minutes remaining), and everytime it comes on - a minute later it says there was an error where the disc did not has an "asms" file or something and that setup cannot continue, where it will then reboot my computer and bring me right back to that screen. :whistling:

Trust me, I am more than lucky JUST to have gotten to that screen!

I was able to create a partition in the unused space and install all of the files on that drive and format it as well. There were many bumps in the road (it kept saying it wouldn't install it at all!) and it took many hours on my part early in the morning. I documented it almost every step of the way (yeah - a crapload of pictures). I'll be back in an hour to post them. I (ironically) have to go help fix a friend's computer, but she might HAVE the actual XP Pro Service Pack 2 disc if not some strange disc related to it. Remember I'm using a Boot-CD-R that a another friend made using Windows. I'll be back soon, hope you get this message before then.

-D

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Borrow her disk for the evening!!!

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Borrow her disk for the evening!!!

Okay well I borrowed it, but it's just Windows XP - not Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2. Lame :\

I tried to boot with it and it said to put the other disc back it.
To my utter suprise [/sarcasm] it still didn't work.

I'm gonna try something, then I'll be back.

I'll also try and upload a few of the multiple screen-captures I took last night.

d

Edited by hysteria, 25 August 2006 - 02:54 PM.