Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Low Space On XP 'C Drive' For No Reason?

• Please log in to reply

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I know wannabe isn't online right now, but at this point I am accepting suggestions from anyone. When I get the the setup screen it goes for a second then I see this.

If anyone can possibly understand how completely frustrating this is, please post a friendly way to get out of it.

We Wiped my C-Drive out so that we could reinstall it - the primary files have been installed (C:\Windows Files), and now the rest needs to be installed. I can't log on to my own computer and it is killing me, because I photo-edit, I goof around just like you, play games, and I listen to music.

Anyways, look to the attachment for the error I am seeing. I've tried 3 different discs: 2 CD-R boot discs made by Windows XP Pro SP 2, and for the heck of it a Windows XP Install Disc. It asked me only when I put the regular XP disc in to put the XP Pro SP 2 disc in (meaning either one because they both didn't say this).

That's the info. I have. Look to the rest of the thread for more steps that we've followed.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01019.JPG

Edited by hysteria, 25 August 2006 - 07:55 PM.

Advertisements

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Wannabe ->

Keith suggested that we might use BootNuke which he's made a tutorial for:

You could look at removing the drive with the data on, using boot and nuke to wipe the drive, then either adding the data drive back in and installing, or installing and then adding the data drive in

If you go with the boot and nuke option it will wipe any drives in the PC, so make sure you remove any with data you want to keep first

To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Click this to download Boot and Nuke

Click this for a guide to using Boot and Nuke

Use the autonuke option, which could take 8 hours or so, then when you run Windows set up, check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, restart the PC and it should default to C

Keith

It was information in a PM, but since it's not a private matter I feel that it's okay to post it.

Do you think this would be the only way to fix this problem? I'm not going to act on anything until I consult with you. And I'm sorry if I'm taking this a bit seriously, but it is very important to me. I don't want to lose the data on my internal Drive D. It wouldnt even be worth it to try and fix it if I didn't have it. Anyways, if I did decide to do it, I wouldn't want to do it alone. You're my boy Blue! {old school reference!}

I'll be here,
D

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you haven't already, run Memtest, faulty memory can cause set up / install errors

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

If you haven't already, run Memtest, faulty memory can cause set up / install errors

Run it overnight if possible

Alright, I will. I'll post what I find back soon / in the morning.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Alright, I will. I'll post what I find back soon / in the morning.

Okay, well I let it run for 13 and a half hours. Here's what it found [see links]

1st Capture

2nd Capture

From what I see it says no errors. Mean anything in my case?

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Anybody? :blink: :help: :whistling:

:)

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
It's been fixed! I still have to install my sound driver (because it's been deleted) - but that's standard! Thank you guys so much! :) :whistling: :blink: :help: :woot:

Keith
and Wannabe both worked diligently to solve my problem. Boot and Nuke is what saved this. My install disc was corrupt, so I found a new one, Boot and Nuke is my new friend. If I ever have problems again, I know exactly what to do, and now I know how to work BIOS like no one else! Thank you everybody!

(P.S. - If you have any questions as to how exactly I fixed this or would request any screenshots for tutorials or anything, do not hesitate to ask - I do have them, and they are at your disposal.)

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Edited by hysteria, 28 August 2006 - 05:25 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you...I've had very sporatic internet service the last several days. I'm on a wireless ISP...soot and ash from nearby forest fires have been interfering with my connection. :whistling:

Apparently the disk you have does not contain the XP installation files. What you need is a proper installation cd. If your machine is OEM, you will need the same version (Make and Model). If it's a retail product key, you will need the same Service Pack cd to install with.

Can you provide me with a little more information on your machine?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Would you e-mail or link me to the screenshots? :whistling:

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Would you e-mail or link me to the screenshots? :whistling:

There were huge in megapixel size (because I like the option of high quality).

Do you want me to resize the lot? There are a good number.

Or I could put them in a zip and send them to you via a Yousendit link (But the size might be big, 200 megabytes probably?)

Advertisements