Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

simple online game struggles on nephew's pc

• Please log in to reply

Dragon306

Dragon306

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
my nephew wanted to play runescape so i biult him a PC meeting/exceeding the min. spec for high detail.

400mhz AMD K6-2 o/c to 500mhz on mobo with biult-in L2 cache
256mb RAM
13gb 7200rpm hard drive
windows xp

anyway, despite a suitable high-speed internet connection and the fact that i biult it for high detail spec, it stuggles and skips even when plying on low detial. this seems to be the computer not the network because my sisters is on the same network and it works just fine.

high detial spec. 500mhz 128mb - low detail spec. 300mhz 64mb

why will it not play smoothly even on low detial???

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well I'm not much of a gamer but what about video card? Also since you are running xp on that you may want to upgrade to at least 512 mb of RAM. Another thing.... It's been a long time but if memory serves the amd K6-2's really were not overclock friendly. Also though your board has "level 2" cache that type of cache is considered level 3 cache these days... you may want to switch to a p2 or something that has on-chip level 2 cache....

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
What video card has the pc got ???
Dont forget, xp itself takes up a fair bit of space.
256 of ram isnt going to get you far either.

Good luck,, kev

Edited by rxkevco, 23 August 2006 - 12:13 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ild say putting XP on such an antiquated machine would be a big factor itll take most of that systems juice to run that OS, try switching to something a little lighter on resources an ealier windows or a linux based OS perhaps one of the ones more specifcally designed for low powered systems.

Dragon306

Dragon306

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
in my experience of installing xp on other slower systems, it will run okay if: the CPU is 450mhz or higher and the RAM is 192mb or higher. it runs okay on those specs or higher, and runs decently especially when tweaked.

the graphics card is ATI Rage GL 16mb AGP, but the game lists no graphics card requirements, just the CPU and RAM requirements already mentioned.

can overclocking a CPU too far actually slow it down? how about upgrading to an actuall 500mhz K6-2 then overclocking that to 550mhz or 600mhz? would that help?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

in my experience of installing xp on other slower systems, it will run okay if: the CPU is 450mhz or higher and the RAM is 192mb or higher. it runs okay on those specs or higher, and runs decently especially when tweaked.

the graphics card is ATI Rage GL 16mb AGP, but the game lists no graphics card requirements, just the CPU and RAM requirements already mentioned.

can overclocking a CPU too far actually slow it down? how about upgrading to an actuall 500mhz K6-2 then overclocking that to 550mhz or 600mhz? would that help?

Like I said, the experiences I've had with K6-2's is they do not overclock well. So I would not recommend overclocking them at all. IF you absolutely have to overclock it then do some research maybe there is still a site out there that talks about the difficulties with these processors.

I to have seen machines that run xp okay on 256mb of ram but not when you start running a bunch of other stuff. Most games I've seen that support multiple versions of windows often require much more memory to run on windows xp. Also as I said the problem with the cache can be a big one. The K6-2's just were not good gamers... They were simply a stopgap until the K7 could be pushed out. again I would recommend trying either an older os or a P2 or better yet at least a p3..... you can get them fairly cheap without an os...

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Why not install win2k or 98 second edition? The game (and your machine) will run better with one of these operating systems.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah im still with a different OS, XP left to its own devices with a browser likes to average out using 300 to 350Mb of ram thats just what it uses, windows operationg systems are designed to run on the hardware at the time relativley close to the design period, that systems hardware is closer to win2k or win98, a more modern OS if you want that would have to be non windows a linux OS lighter on resources perhaps something along the lines of DSL, puppy linux, or slax, maybe something a bit more resourceful like ubuntu but still a push.

Dragon306

Dragon306

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
well yes i guess windows xp does become sluggish with high-demand software on a system like that. although my best friend runs it on his IBM TP 600E w/ 400mhz and 228mb and it runs okay (not great but okay so long as he doesnt open programs that push his system's limits). so i can see that. would upgrading to an actuall 500mhz K6-2 and overclocking that to 550mhz or 600mhz help at all?.

also, it does help a little when windows is tweaked (disable useless processes, disable sfc, adjust the pagefile size, etc.) but not a whole lot.

if various versions of windows are designed for the hardware of the time, why are the requirements so much lower? like, windows xp pro is listed as capable of running on 300mhz and 128mb. windows 2000 is listed as capable of running on something like 133mhz and 64mb. why do they list the requirements so low if they arent accurate?? is microsoft outright lying??

i will downgrade to Windows 98SE and see what happens. would the CPU upgrade help?? or perhaps an upgrade to a K6-3??