Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

sloooooow graphics...

• Please log in to reply

jagwar

jagwar

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Sometime ago, I used to play lots of games and none of them gave me major problems.

But suddenly (don't remember when exactly), the system became really slow whenever I tried to play something.
Games from EA sports stops about every 1 minute, then resume, but 1 minute later stops again.
Ok, EA requires a lot of graphics...
...but even when I play something like DX Ball (1996) it happens the same, the cpu usage is 100% all the time I'm playing and it stops every minute, and the cpu makes that noise (is the fan?) consistently...

Any advice? I've tried some tips found in this forums but still have the same problem...
:tazz:
any help would be very appretiated

Thanks!
================

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You didn't mention whether they are MS-DOS based or older Win 9x games, but see if this will help if they are :

Getting older games to run on Windows XP

<Micro$oft>

I don't play games much, but noticed you haven't had a reply since the 20th. It gets pretty busy on here.

You also may have a problem with malware. If you think so, please go here first :

START HERE

You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log
Required steps before posting your log.

Ron

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I had almost the exact same problem. Basically the processor was overheating, causing slowdowns every 45 sec to a minute. Then it would cool off and start running fine again. The problem was caused by excessive dust clogging my fan and preventing good airflow. My suggestion is to thoroughly clean your cooling fan(s) and inside your case. Hopefully this will clear up the issue. If not, then go to the malware forum, follow the advice pinned at the top, and post an HJT log for the experts to look at.

Good luck. :tazz:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I had almost the exact same problem.  Basically the processor was overheating, causing slowdowns every 45 sec to a minute.  Then it would cool off and start running fine again.  The problem was caused by excessive dust clogging my fan and preventing good airflow.  My suggestion is to thoroughly clean your cooling fan(s) and inside your case.  Hopefully this will clear up the issue.  If not, then go to the malware forum, follow the advice pinned at the top, and post an HJT log for the experts to look at. 
Good luck.  :tazz:

View Post

Darn good advice! Just covered a problem a few weeks ago like this and didn't dawn on me to suggest what you did. Proves we need as many people on these forums as possible.

;) Ron