Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive Crash

• Please log in to reply

dadeel

dadeel

• Pip
  • 3 posts
last friday my computer crashed and left me at the dos version of restart my computer cntrl alt delete prompt. after several attempts of trying to reboot and going through the bios to see if i reboot without all the other drives. no such luck. removed hard drive and connected to second computer. could see all the files but it would not let me access them or copy them. I took my hard drive to data doctors in hopes of them saving pictures I can't replace. Unfortunately it looks as if some component of windows is corrupt and they can not save my hard drive but offered to recover the data for a fee which could be up to $2,700. I can't really afford that and I can't really afford to lose those pictures of the kids. any help or ideas on how I can recover these without the high cost? the file structure is obsolete when looking through dos. computer specifications, Sony Vaio, PCV - RS430G Pentium 4 2.8g, Windows XP, partitioned hard drive C&D. 120 GB 7200 rpm Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
(edit) Welcome! :whistling:

could see all the files but it would not let me access them or copy them.

What exactly do you mean? Did you get an error that said something like "Access denied"?

If so, you need to take ownership of the file(s) and/or folder(s). Please read this for instructions on how to do so. Please notice that there are different instructions for XP Home and XP Pro.

Edited by Pi rules, 22 August 2006 - 07:39 PM.

dadeel

dadeel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

(edit) Welcome! :whistling:

could see all the files but it would not let me access them or copy them.

What exactly do you mean? Did you get an error that said something like "Access denied"?

If so, you need to take ownership of the file(s) and/or folder(s). Please read this for instructions on how to do so. Please notice that there are different instructions for XP Home and XP Pro.

when i open the hard drive via the second computer i see the file via windows explorer but when clicking on it or trying to copy it, there's nothing there. as funny as it sounds i see the name but there is no file?

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Try taking ownership of the files and folders once and see if it helps.

dadeel

dadeel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Try taking ownership of the files and folders once and see if it helps.

sorry i have been trying to reload up the hard drive but i'm getting a missing operating system failure when booting the computer with the old hard drive. any suggestions? do you know if there's a way i can connect the old hard drive to my new computer as an external hard drive? i was booting the hard drive off a different computer so that i can follow instructions on this one.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Instead of connecting the old drive as an external drive, you could install it as a "slave" (secondary hard drive) to the hard drive (called the "master") in your new computer. I thought that you were doing it already. There is one summary here. There should be a diagram on the drive itself to show where to place the jumper, and make sure to change the jumper on the "master" drive if necessary.

You probably don't want to bring a hard drive from one computer to another and boot from it due to the different hardware.