Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Interesting Internet Explorer Problem

• Please log in to reply

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok, here is the situation. First of all, this is not for my computer, so ignore the specs on here. This is for a friend's computer. She is currently running Windows 98 and has run into what seems to be a major problem. Here is what happened. Her computer was working fine and she decided that she wanted to install Yahoo Messenger, so she did. When the installation for Yahoo finished, the computer was restarted and when it came back up it, she opened IE and it gave her the standard Error Report message, you know, asking if you want to send an error report to Microsoft. Every time that she tries to open IE it does the same thing. We have uninstalled Yahoo and tried to reinstall IE and nothing has worked. I presently have her running ScanDisk to see if it can find anything, but if that does not work then I am at a loss for possibilities. Anyone out there think that you can help? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I know that if it were Windows XP I could just get her to do a system restore, but Win98 does not have that feature. Like I said, I am at my wit's end on this one. Anyone care to take a crack at it?

Oh, I tried to see if she could maybe ignore that error box and try typing in a different URL in the window, but that did not work, that was kind of a last ditch effort though, I did not really expect it to work, just thought that we might get lucky and it actually work. Anyway, anyone's advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the PC and keep tapping F8

Choose command prompt only

Type scanreg /restore (with the space)

Press enter

You need one shown as started, and before you installed Yahoo

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thank you very much. It worked like a charm. Had to go back a couple days, but it worked. Thanks alot for the info. I never cease to learn something new when I am on here.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know