Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Bootup Problem

• Please log in to reply

thefunnymanfrommars

thefunnymanfrommars

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,
This problem has been bugging me for quite a while now :help: . When i turn on my computer for the first time in the day, for some wierd reason :blink: , the resolution resets down to 800 X 600. When i restart the computer right after it though, the resolution goes back up to the normal 1280 X 1024.

A couple of days later i also noticed that all my startup services (especially the ones that show up in system tray) have stopped working. This includes my anti-virus, NOD32 and my sound effects manager, which is also my sound driver (Realtek AC97). This problem does not go away after the reboot as the first problem did.

This is really starting to get on my nerve now :whistling: so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you :)

Advertisements

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
It may be malware:
Spybot S&D - Download - Homepage
Install Spybot and the DSO Exploit Fix. Start Spybot and select Update, Search For Updates, check the box next to each update and then select Download Updates. Next, select Search and Destroy, Check for problems and after scanning is complete, Fix selected problems.

lorothrigs

lorothrigs

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Would you happen to have Windows XP Professional Corporate Edition?

thefunnymanfrommars

thefunnymanfrommars

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I know i have professional SP2. I don't know if its corporate though. It doesn't say its the corporate edition when i right click on "My Computer" and go to properties.

thefunnymanfrommars

thefunnymanfrommars

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I also ran the spybot scan and nothing came up except for a couple of tracking cookies.

BTW i haven't had the resolution problem for a couple of days so i think it fixed itself, the startup services are still not working. Please help!

Edited by thefunnymanfrommars, 30 August 2006 - 07:53 AM.

thefunnymanfrommars

thefunnymanfrommars

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Please ignore the last edit, i experienced the resolution problem again. Please help. Not even my anti-virus starts up automatically!