Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking

• Please log in to reply

joybz

joybz

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi ive custom built my pc about 6 months ago, the specs goes as follows..
MOBO: MSI K8Neo4
CPU: AMD 64 3200+ @ 2GHZ Venice CORE
GFX: X800GTO 256MB
RAM 2x512 ddr400 GeIL duel channel.

Im looking to up the performance of my system for less that £80 i was looking at buying more ram maybe another 1GIG but if i did happen to do that would i be able to mix the brands such as GeIL and Corsair as long as its ddr400 182pin? if i did do this would the current GeIL ram cease to function as dual channel.. Another big option is overclocking however im not too sure how its done. I have upped the FSB in the BIOS sure this ups the clock speed to 2.2GHZ on the CPU but it ups the frequency of the MOBO from 1000mhz to 1100mhz and becomes a little unstable. Is there a way to just OC the CPU up to about 2.4GHZ without effecting anything else?

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I can't speak to the overclocking as I don't have any experience with it, but you will probably see a minimal performance difference when increasing from 1GB of RAM to 2. There is a large gap between 512 an 1GB, but then the performance increase begins to drop off dramtically.

It also kind of depends on what you are using the computer for. If you are a gamer, then most games are GPU limited and you would be best off by investing in a better GPU.

Also, there is a handy guide to overclocking in the pinned section of this forum.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
what type of PSU do you have- that might be effecting the o/c'ing factor

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
First off thanks for the replys. However i did notice the guide after i posted and it was a good read, ive successfully OC'ed to 2.2GHZ with no problems may push even further yet, slightly addicted. I do use my pc mainly for gaming games such as css and the rest of the series, However like most people i want to play the latest games with the least expendature possible. My PSU reasonable standard, Antec 400W SmartPower2.0 ATX12V v2.0power supply. Il follow the advice and hold back on upgrading to 2gig of ram. So the best option for me would to invest in a new GPU?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You need to adjust the multiplier ive had mine on the platinum version of that board up to 2.4Ghx with the mobo stable its direct to the northbridge its got a 10x multiplier so at 200Mhz on the mobo is 2Ghz on the chip which is the stock speed, itll got to 240-250 easy without changing the multiplier, changing the multiplier you can go up to 2.8Ghz if you have a chip from the good batch, ive had it as far as 2.7Ghz but never ran permanently with an overclock as i never saw the need, im probably going to replace the CPU soon with an X2 a 4400+ or 4600+ not decided if im going AM2 yet.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I changed the FSB to 240 but the pc wouldnt boot into windows gave me a hardware warning message so i dropped it back to 230 and its fine... however i cannot seem to find the multiplyer in BIOS i found a HT Mulitiplyer however this only gots up to 5x and not the 10x i expect of a cpu am i looking in the right place the cell menu on the pheonix awards BIOS. Basically everest home says my cpu is 2.3ghz my mobo is 1150mhz and my fsb is 230!! i think ive been bitten by the upgrade bug i would like to push my cpu even further without breaking anything, any more ideas as to when i can find the multiplyer and why wont windows let me boot up with 240fsb?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Upgrade the bios, up the voltage a little that might do it, remember you are also increasing the memory speed and its usually not as good at overclocking as the motherboard.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hmm so a BIOS upgrade is to be the next step, ive heared that can be a little risky and if it goes wrong then in the worst case the pc doesnt even get to BIOS screen and a whole new motherboard is to be purchased?!... So.. how do i update the BIOS :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Run the live update utility and follow the instructions, ive dont it 4 times on this board with no problems at all didnt even have to reboot.