Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer locks up - may be caused by modem

• Please log in to reply

sallen

sallen

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
My computer has been locking up a lot over the last week or so. Basically, if I move the mouse or press a key nothing will happen. When I restart everthing seems to be fine until the next time it happens, which could be alsmost immediately after a restart or not for a couple of days. Sometimes I get the stop error 0x0000009c after the lock up, but other times I don't.

I think my modem may be partially/completely to blame because for around 2 weeks prior to the last week or so my broadband was de-provisioned so I was on connecting my modem to find out if it was working again. In these 2 weeks my computer crashed 3 times and one of those times was when my modem was connected. (That's why I put partially above becuase I'm not sure whether it is my modem).

In July something thought that my mobo may be the problem but I'm not sure how to access my message history and I think that this may be the same kind of posting as the previous one (sorry about it if it is).

Can anyone help me sort this out once and for all?

Thanks very much

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. There is a guide/tutorial on stop codes at http://www.geekstogo...orials-f99.html
You can also go to start, my computer, right click manage, and view the event viewer. Look for items with a red x corresponding to the time of the crash/lockup. If you find any, right click on it, view properties. It will provide details of the event. You can also send a report to M$ and view their knowledge base for possible solutions.

Have you gone to the modem manufacturer's web page and checked for a driver udate?

sallen

sallen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi and thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately my stop error isn't listed on the forum guide.

The only two that seem to match up for today are under system the source is DCOM. The description for this is: The server {F3A614DC-ABE0-11D2-A441-00C04F795683} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout. I've looked into this and it's a Messenger Object so I think this is MSN Messenger or Windows Messenegr, but these aren't running.

Under application 2 of the red x's are firefox crashing and they may match up with times.

I got a driver update on Saturday and it it slightly better, but it is still crashing.

Can you offer any more help? Thanks in advance.