Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Server 2003 wont allow XP to load over top

• Please log in to reply

Justin Time

Justin Time

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
We are trying to change operating system from 2003 to XP Pro. Have deleted partition and reformatted using all the normal procedures but when we try to boot from the XP cd, it tells us "disc boot error, please insert system disc (server 2003) and press enter". Note if 2003 disc is inserted then installation begins.
If computer is started without cd it says error loading OS. Boot order is floppy, cd then HDD. Have spent hours trying to find the right sequence(s). Need help please

Advertisements

Sophilicious

Sophilicious

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am having the same problem. Have tried everything. I was told by a technician to download DiscWizard off the seagate website and perform a 0-wipe but i cannot figure out how to do this. Perhaps you could try this option and get back to me.

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok here is the thing... if you want to install xp, you must boot from the cd, cuz if you try to boot from the floppy, this would never work. so first thing is to set the bios to boot from the floppy

im guessing you now how to acces the bios. right? if not post again

Justin Time

Justin Time

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you. But the floppy drive is empty, no disc. So it should then boot from the cd right? It does read the drive, the cd spins and then it says 'non-system disc, please insert a system disc and press enter.' However if i put the server cd back in it will enter setup.

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
no not necesarily ........since he doesent find anything in the floppy drive to boot it wont boot

Justin Time

Justin Time

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ok thanks, i'll try that then. Do i just change the boot order to cd drive, hdd then floppy or disable the floppy? Also, when i start the computer with the CD in it was checking the floppy(which was empty) then the CD Drive fired up and then it said 'non system disk - plea........press enter' With the same configuration i put in the Server 2003 CD and it recognised it as a system disk and proceeded to load the setup? So this means it was booting from the CD right?

I'll try changing the boot order to CD first now......

Justin Time

Justin Time

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Have tried changing the boot order to cd first and still have exactly the same problem.
If system recognizes the server cd as the only system disc, then we assume that the reformatting has not wiped the boot sector clean and this may be why it wont accept the xp pro cd. If this is the case what should we do now? Do we look for a software program that will clear the boot sector or resort to buying a new HDD and set old one up as slave under the new HDD to use as storage?

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok here is what we will have to do

download this segate software, what this does is it lowlevelformats your harddrive, meaning it removes any data that was previously set on the hard drive in simple words.......

http://seagate.com/s...rs/discwiz.html

download it .. post again

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
one more thing ........ here are the instructions on how to use it.

http://www.seagate.c...o/use_dwse.html

once again, if you cant figure out on what to do with this, post again

Justin Time

Justin Time

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Went down that road during weekend after begging for a copy of program on cd from local computer store guru. He supplied us with the same one as above before I read your last post. All results have still been the same again. Have even been able to load win98 and then reformat from there and it still says 'non-system disc, please insert a system disc and press enter when trying to load XP Pro. Would rather install xp pro clean, rather than upgrade from win98. This is the same XP disc that we used to upgrade dads dinosour (this computer) from win98.

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
are you able to remove the hard drive from this pc and place it on aother?

if it is posilbe you might be able to format it on another pc... hopefully this will work