Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

constant reboot

• Please log in to reply

spindar

spindar

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
My computer is continually rebooting. I was able to start in Safe Mode. Now what do I do??? Should I try something else. I am completely lost. :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop

spindar

spindar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I should do this in safe mode? Because it doesn't even finish loading before it reboots and then goes to the blue screen that says checking file system in C:, fiel system fat32, one of disks needs to be checked for consistency, blah, blah, then it will go to my desktop for about 30 seconds and start the process all over again. I dont have my windows XP cd however I have a friend of mines. Does that matter?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as it is the same version as was originally installed, also with SP1 if you downloaded SP2

Run it in safe mode

spindar

spindar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I get an invalid boot file, then windows goes to start and then it gets about 90% started and reboots, over and over. A vicious and frustrating cycle. tried chkdsk, prefect thing. LOST HELP!!!!!

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

I get an invalid boot file, then windows goes to start and then it gets about 90% started and reboots, over and over. A vicious and frustrating cycle. tried chkdsk, prefect thing. LOST HELP!!!!!

Hi spindar. You have a post on page 866 where you are
getting help from Keith. Please don't start a
another on same promblem.
you need to go back there.
Thank you

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

:blink: My Super Micro P4SAA based computer is also now stuck in a never ending Reboot Loop. A New HDD is only recognized if it's not Jumped At All and it's GAME OVER when a fresh Installation hits the "Corrupted DMIO.SYS file" message. Setup has failed.
My Entire Computer (costing a few Grand) is now Junk.
All RAM is good, HDDs are good, CPU is good, Cables are good. I'm suspecting a faulty controller or other Motherboard component perhaps, although the BIOS Setup Menu detects the peripherals just fine.
I removed the BIOS battery for 40 seconds to clear it...no difference.
Can someone Please HELP ? Thanks :whistling:

Hi ozqood, Welcome to geeks to go.
Please start your own post and someone
will help you with it.
Thank You

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I moved the other post here

http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=766709

spindar

spindar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
tried it still doing the same thing, im going to turn off auto reboot so I can see what the problem is