Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

networking as a career?

• Please log in to reply

wulvn

wulvn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello, my luck has gone from bad to extremely worse...lol...
well i'll take a second to explain things abit for you all.
due to a recent accident at work, i am stuck with no other option but to return to college and get a certificate in something that will allow me to remain seated,(for the most part). now i should point out that i am not 100% crippled. but i do have a mobility issue. to be as blunt as possible, my ankle was crushed by a machine that started up on its own. this led to my foot being 99% amputated by the afore mentioned machine. This led to a operation called a, Free Flap operation. this is where they take a muscle out of your stomach or any muscle that has a working artery in it, and in my case do alot of micro surgery to replace the muscle and tissue that was lost around the ankle. sounds painfull eh...well..not really, cause there aren't any nerves left attached to my foot. but hey i get to keep my foot at least, but enough about that...i'm sure you get the point by now.

so hear is my question, i am looking at going into the computer feild, in someway or anouther, do you have any suggestions as to what area might be more benificial for a guy in his very early (heh heh) 30's, and do you have any links that might explain these areas so as i can research them and see which area i would most enjoy. do game testers make alot of money?..lol.

thank you for your time. :whistling:

B.A.D.[font=Times New Roman][size=7]

Advertisements

BlutoniumBoy

BlutoniumBoy

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well, I would say that Networking is not all sitting down. However, if you are truly interested in the IT field, I would suggest researching the types of IT you would like to be involved in when it comes to Networks. There are many, many areas. If I were you and you wanted to get into IT, I wouldn't look at networking as an option. I would look more into perhaps Web Development, Programming in the likes of either Java, Software development, Perl and so on. Those types of areas seem more fitting for some one, such as your case, that has minimal mobility.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you're wanting sedentary...programming or graphics design is the way to go...you never have to move...unless it's to go to a client's location

if you're wanting to stay more in the networking area of sedentary then stay away from lan management or general IS...as we tend to have to go to workstations alot to fix issues...you could look into WAN management...as you rarely actually need physical access to the devices you're monkeying with (though...there are times that you do)...you could talk to a guidence counceler at the school and see if they have a program geared towards tech support...nothing more sedentary than answering phones

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Im not sure what are of networking My job falls into (residential netork installation I think), but it will go from very physical, to absolute boredom at times....

examples:

Physical
Had a Network install at a 3 story house (mansion) in "XXXXXXXXX" (rich part of town) in which the cuistomer wanted a Cat5 wired network for 8 PC's and 1 TV. All 8 outlets were in different locations throughout the house from the 1st floor to the 3rd floor... Let me tell you it is very physical and Mobile, fishing 8 cat5 outlets from the attic down through three stories inside the walls. Then more physical runing back and forth from PC to PC setting up the network.

Boredom
When there are no installs or service calls we drive around locating unsecured broadcasts... which consists of drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, drive a block and sit/search, ..... YOU GET THE POINT RIGHT.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 25 August 2006 - 03:48 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Sorry to "hijack" the post, but this has been something on my mind as well... I never thought to ask it here. I'm seriously thinking of IT as well. At this time however, I'm not sure if I want to go into the more technical stuff such as programming and network development, etc. or something more like video productions, etc. What I want is (1) Job security for when I get out of college (2) Financial security while working. I know it's a very popular topic, but I want to be financially secure lol I like troubleshooting like I do here, but I'm not sure how the pay is, and what the real world would expect in an office setting.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
As with any career, it's not necessarily what you do...it's how well you do it. There is no career that is going to guarantee job and financial security. Find something that you enjoy and have a natural aptitude for and run with it. If you are good at what you do, then you will achieve your goals.

For example, I know people that started in retail (which a lot of people think of as a crappy job), found they have a knack for it and are now making six figures as regional managers. I also know people with master's degrees who are struggling to make ends meet because they tried to force themselves into a career path that seemed "promising" but wasn't the right fit for them.

Anyway, the point is, do what you want to do, just do it well. And I'm spent...

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Yes... A good share indeed... I'll have to see how involved the more technical courses are and see if they're for me then :whistling:

Upgrade

Upgrade

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Heh, and here I am not likeing the exact kind of job this guy wants. I started my tech related experiance in the military. I was a communications electrionics tech. I fixed satellite and wideband terminals and antennas. Then I got out of the military and got desperate for a job. The job I ended up getting was for a Anti-Virus company. A year and a half later I sit at a desk all day, and write scripts for custom fixes for peoples computers. Hours and hours of bordem. I spend roughly a third of my day not working, and about half the time I do work. I work pretty slow.

Sad thing is I get praise for the amount of work I do. Seems its more then some people.

I just wanted to say, I do not think I could keep doing this. I am a tester, write scripts, do netmeetings, sometimes talk to customers, I gather samples of infections, research, look over logs, note patterns of infections. I write custom fixes and pass on info on infections to another department that creates fixes to upload to the scanner.

Its why I got a new job. I am going back to working on communications equipment. I liked being up, working all day. I do not like the gut I have developed from a year and a half working sitting down.

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Wow, Sorry to hear about that Wulvn. I myself have been on disability for the past 2 years and just last week I was awarded SSD. In this time off, I have been looking for things to be able to do from home or from a "seated" position myself.

I know a recent IT report that I read it had listed Computer Forensics as one to the Top 10 up and coming IT fields to get in on. There is a plethra of information available out there on it. Some places require a Criminal Justice Degree, some don't. It just depends on which "path" you want to take within the Forensics field.

Just another option for you or perhaps someone else to think about.

Good luck with whatever you decide though! :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Wow... Computer Forensics... That sounds interesting... Anyway, going back on topic, sorry to hear of the situation :whistling: