Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BUS Speed

• Please log in to reply

K_Lorber

K_Lorber

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hello, I need help with determining the BUS speed of my current computer and I would also like help deciding what I need to get when I buy a new computer soon (regarding BUS speed). I want something a little better than my old computer but nothing over my head.

Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If we know what processor you have we might be able to tell what your bus speed is. The motherboard make and model would also let us find out. Download Everest home edition and it should tell you when you run it.

With the new computers, most are going to have a bus speed of 800 or 1066 for intel processors except the celeron. AMD new processors are at the 1000 bus speed.

When they become affordable the new intel conroe processors will be the cat's meow for a new system. AMD is dropping their prices just to compete. A Conroe running at 2.66GHz (1067MHz FSB) on an Intel 975X motherboard will blow away everything else.

http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2713

SRX660

K_Lorber

K_Lorber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Will an 800 speed BUS allow for a good speed for a computer? I want to buy something that is not going to be sluggish yet at the same time I really dont need blazing fast speeds.

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
800MHz FSB is fine for most applications. That's what I have and I run the latest games, multitask, Windows Vista and everything else. I'm quite happy with it still.

K_Lorber

K_Lorber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
One more question...I have selected a computer with 2000MHz FSB and 1 GB of RAM. It also has 2.4 GHz processor and a 200 GB hard drive. Video memory is 256MB is this a good computer? Is there any other info u need to determine?

P.S. full specs list is at this link
http://www.officedep...u...&Ntt=934001

Can somebody just read over that and tell me if this is a good computer to buy? Especially if I have a lot of programs running some of which are fairly intense.

Edited by K_Lorber, 23 August 2006 - 06:03 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
That computer wil probably do you just fine for a year or two. That price is good for what it is.

What i dont like about it is true of most big manufacturered computers.

1. I have never liked onboard sound. I prefer the creative audigy cards.
2. Shared Video memory takes away from main memory. I prefer video cards with their own memory.
3. Bundled software is usually never what you really want. I personally do not like norton internet security. Bundled quicken software is not supported very well. Perhaps the sonic software is Ok, i do not know or have used it. I prefer using Nero software because i know what it can do. Microsoft Works is a poor mans microsoft Office but you can buy the real Microsoft Office at good prices off Ebay, which is much more capable than Works.

Most people that come to me to build them a new computer really don't need my services. I will suggest to them to look into the H-P computers and see if that is what they are looking for. The people i do build computers for are like me in that they are not happy with the above dislikes i have mentioned. I cannot build a computer to compete with H-P and other makers prices. I can only build higher priced and better computers than they will build.

SRX660

K_Lorber

K_Lorber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I am going to customize a comoputer on HP's website. Would oyu be willing to check out some more specs tomorrow?

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I'm not sure I would go with HP actually. I have never liked them. I absolutely hate working on them. Personally I would go for a Dell if you are going for a name brand system.

K_Lorber

K_Lorber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
What are the differences between Dells and Hp computers? Is one better or is it just preference?

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Dell generally uses better quality parts. They have better layouts inside (usually...the exception is those slimline cases... ugh). They have better tech support. They dropped their shipping charges. Some Dell systems offer a better and longer warranty than HP.

It's worth taking a look.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Dells are rubbish dont bother with them at all,

most of their parts are propetory and they can charge you stupid prices for them because they no they can.
like for example their power supplies... you can replace them with any other PSU on the market only dell manafactured ones and dell PSU's break alot and its a pain to get them replaced

you can always buold one or get one built for you by someone its alot cheaper and you get a better all around system

troppo

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Every manufacturered computer is a compromise. With the prices they sell them for now it is a wonder anyone makes any profits at all. Of all the computer i have found the H-Ps have the better overall quality than any other maker. The experiences i have had with the Dell computers makes me tend to not buy them. I also stay away from the small form factor computers because of the Very proprietary parts in them. I guess thats why i build every computer i want for myself. I want exactly what i want with no compromise.

I suggest the H-Ps simply because they give you the most bang for your buck with the better reliability record. Some people do not need the fancy stuff i like and these computer's suit them perfectly. They still are calling me when they have problems so i do not lose anything here. I do not make enough profit off a computer build for me to want to build them all the time. I make more on repair work than building.

SRX660

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Dell USED to use propietary parts. They pretty much don't anymore, with the exception of a few in their slimline cases, but such is the same with HP.

EDIT: I have owned and serviced many Dell PCs and HP PCs. By far, HP (and by extension Compac) gave me the most headaches. We just sold a very nice Dell Dimension 3000 that was a beautiful little machine for the price. It used to be my wife's but considering as how we already have 3 servers, 1 firewall computer, two workstations and a laptop it didn't make much sense keeping the Dell. :whistling:

Edited by SirKenin, 24 August 2006 - 07:36 AM.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Obviously, you will find champions on both sides of the Dell/HP fence. It is all a matter of personal experience. Personally, I've had a Compaq (owned by HP) for over 5 years and have never had an issue with it. Some people have had horrible experiences and hate HP. I've seen the same with Dell.

Really, it's just a matter of where you can find a better deal for the system you are looking for. I think you will find that 90%+ of people who have bought from either company were happy with what they received. It is always the vocal minority that makes the most noise.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
My point being is that dell PSu's are rubbish and always break they are heavily underpowered and you can upgrade anything with dell PSu's as in if you want to add in a better graphics card, a second harddrive, a second DVD drive or anyhting you have to buy a new PSU and thats a pain with dell because you have to buy their products you can go down to yoiur local computer store and by another one you have to buy theres and wait till it is sent to you

Dell PSU's are rubbish i wouldnt trust them as far as i could throw them

troppo