Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which RAM?

• Please log in to reply

Ldee

Ldee

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello, I recently identified a problem with my pc's ram and now I have to replace it. I currently have one stick of 512mb. I don't know which configuration of ram to go for though, as my mboard takes a few types. This is from the manual:

3 DDR DIMM slots: DDR1, DDR2, and DDR3
PC2100 (DDR266) for 3 DDR DIMM slots, Max. 3GB;
PC2700 (DDR333) for 2 DDR DIMM slots, Max. 2BG;
PC3200 (DDR400) for 1 DDR DIMM slots, Max. 1GB.

What configuration would offer best performance here while keeping the cost reasonably low? I was thinking the 2GB of PC2700 DDR333...? Would I be better off going for the 1GB of DDR400? Or maybe even the 3GB of the slower ram is a decent option? Also, any brands that I should go for or avoid?

All help much appreciated, thank you.

Advertisements

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
The best brand I know is Corsair and Kingston.

And i think you should just get the same type of ram that's compatible to your motherboard.

Ldee

Ldee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Corsair and Kingston, thanks.

So any suggestions on whether I should get 1gb of the ddr400 or 2gb or the ddr333?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Without any system specs theres no telling what is best. I'm guessing you can use PC3200(DDR400) ram. It is the easist obtainable ram at the stores right now. Unless you are doing a lot of video editing your computer will not be any faster using 2 gigs of ram over 1 gig of ram. The sweet spot with Windows Xp seems to be 512 MB of ram. After 512 you do not see any real increase of speed of the computer. What i do see with 1 gig of ram is that when i burn Cd's or DVD's i can burn 2 of them before the computer slows down. With 512 ram i will usually reboot between burning cd's. If i had money to burn then i would rather spend the money on a better graphics card than memory after already having a gig of ram in the computer. By your computer having 3 slots for ram it is telling me your motherboard is not dual channel capable so i would buy 2 512mb sticks of ram.

SRX660