Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Loss of Video on XP

• Please log in to reply

GWats

GWats

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I recently acquired a computer from my sister-in-law. It worked great when I first started it up. However, she had alot of software, etc. that seemed to be slowing it down some so I decided to get rid of some of the excess. Using "Add or Remove Programs" in Control Panel, I got rid of things I didn't want (she had a lot of things from her job on there).
Here's where I screwed it up, though. After uninstalling a bunch of stuff, I also got rid of the related icons on the desktop. Then I restarted the computer.
When the computer came back on, everything seemed to follow the usual procedure (all the normal noises and things on the screen) but when XP got to the actual desktop, the image was just a few thin horizontal lines of assorted coloured fuzz (like when your TV is on a non-channel).
I've likely inadvertently deleted some type of Video file.
What's my next move?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you start the PC to safe mode, if the desktop appears, albeit larger, re-install the video card drivers

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Yes, I can start the computer in safe mode. I don't know the procedure to 'reinstall the video card drivers' though. Also, because this computer was given to me recently, there were no disks, etc. provided.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
What if I don't have internet on the computer in question? The Everest Home Edition is 3.99 kb and I don't have a memory stick to move it from one computer to the other. Is there an easier way to find out the Video card driver needed?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Device manager may show it

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
In device manager, I checked what I think is the video card info. It said "S3 Graphics, Inc. Trio 3D". So I went to the S3 drivers page and the Trio 3D is listed as ''obsolete" and no longer supported.
Also, I just went in safe mode and chose "user" rather than "administrator". The recyle bin was full of the stuff I had deleted. I restored the lot of it but there was no change in the 'loss of video' on startup.
P.S. I tried "System restore" but it doesn't work in 'safe mode'.
What's next????

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the PC ever connect to the internet

If we do locate drivers, how are you going to put them on?

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
No, the computer does not connect to the internet. Depending on the size of the driver, I could use a floppy or possibly a memory stick to transfer the driver from the internet computer to the one we're trying to fix.
In safe mode, I went into Device Manager where the driver was listed. Doing the Troubleshoot process, it told me that the driver was working fine.
Is it possible that I deleted some other file or altered some setting that is causing the display top be garbled???

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can find the driver from the list then re-installing would be good

It may be on the motherboard CD if you have that