Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yazzlesudoku! [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
I think we are good now !

How is your system running now ??

Your log looks clean!!

Here are a few tools that I recommend for protecting your system and reduce the risk of infection again !!

Real Time Prevention
SpywareBlaster© by Javacool Software

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.
Consumes no system resources.

Download, run, check for updates, download updates, select all, protect against checked. All done. Check for updates every couple of weeks. If you have any errors running the program like a missing file see the link at the bottom of the javacool page
IESpyad© by EHowes : This will add several hundred Restricted Sites to the Restricted Site Zone in IE.

File Cleaners (temp, prefetch, cookie, etc)
2000/XP Only
ATF (Atribune Temp File) Cleaner© by Atribune
All Windows
CCleaner© by CCleaner.com

Spyware Scanners:
Ad-aware SE© by Lavasoft : Provides protection and removal of trojans, dialers, malware, browser hijackers, and tracking components
Spybot - Search & Destroy© by Safer Networking : Detects and removes spyware of different kinds from your computer

Good Free Antivirus Programs:
AVG© by Grisoft
AntiVir© by H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH
Avast© by ALWIL Software
NOTE:Remember always have just 1 antivirus program running at a time. Having more than one running causes a conflict between the programs !! You can use one as a backup to run manually

Windows Update:
It's also very important to keep your system up to date to avoid unnecessary security risks
Windows Update

Firewalls:
If you have an "always on" internet connection, such as DSL or Cable, I recommend a Firewall.
A firewall will make your pc invisible to the outside world and will filter the outgoing and incoming traffic on your pc.
For a good idea of how vulnerable your system(s) are go to GRC
Scroll down to "Shields Up" Click on "Proceed" Then click on "Common Ports"to scan your ports.
Very good Firewalls :
ZoneAlarm Firewall© by Zone Labs
Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall© by Sunbelt
Comodo Personal Firewall© by Comodo Group

Alternative Browsers :
Use ANY browser besides Internet Explorer, almost every exploit is crafted to take advantage of an IE weakness
FireFox© by Mozilla
Opera© by Opera Software ASA

Install Java :
Java Runtime Environment© Sun Microsystems. It's much more secure than Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine

Always keep your Antivirus & Spyware Removal Tools current with the latest definitions and updates !!

Using these tools and keeping them updated will reduce the risk of future infections!!

Do you have any questions??

Advertisements

Slider92

Slider92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Ok then. Thx alot! Just one more question. A friend of mine has a computer that turns off sometimes with no warning. Usually when he plays a flash file, .mpg files and movie files like that. Is it malware or hardware problem? What do you think?

And that restricted site to IE thing. How do I do that? it extracts a txt file, but am I supposed to manually add it to restricted sites? its alot to add

Edited by Linkmaster, 03 September 2006 - 11:07 AM.

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts

A friend of mine has a computer that turns off sometimes with no warning. Usually when he plays a flash file, .mpg files and movie files like that. Is it malware or hardware problem? What do you think?

it could be a number of things. I would have your friend post to the boards with an explaination of his problem and a HijackThis log. That way someone could help him.

And that restricted site to IE thing. How do I do that? it extracts a txt file, but am I supposed to manually add it to restricted sites? its alot to add

If you read this tutorial it should explain the install !
http://forums.window...?showtopic=6640

Slider92

Slider92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Ok. Thx again! But i got ONE more question! I have another problem on my computer. I cant Hibernate. When i try to hibernate my screen goes blank for 2 seconds and then it goes back to my desktop. It doesnt hibernate. And when im gonna do it again, the hibernation button is gone. It appears again when i restart and then the same thing happends again. What the heck is that?

Edited by Slider92, 03 September 2006 - 11:49 AM.

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
You are very welcome !!

Maybe this will help :
http://www.kellys-ko.../xp_standby.htm

Slider92

Slider92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hey thanks. There was an update from Microsoft I needed to install. Some kinda trouble for Hibernation. Thank you very much.

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
You are Welcome again !! :whistling:

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :whistling:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.