Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SVCHOST.EXE error. HELP!

• Please log in to reply

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
thats ok. that was when you started having problems. Other than Explorer, are you having any other applications not working properly?

Do you have the actuall install media for Media Center or is it a "system restore" cd?

Advertisements

ac_182

ac_182

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Believe me, if i had it i would have tried a complete reinstall, but I don't... My computer came with it preinstalled. I do, however, have the XP Pro Cd, although using this would mean the loss of my Media Center capabilities, and thats definitely a last resot :whistling:..
Anyway, it seems to be any program that is being run when the dreaded error kicks in, if i select an option on the error window my computer stops responding... Sometimes, however, I get a 'report to windows' window pop up, I'm sure you know the one I'm talking about, about the 'Generic Host Process', which I understand is the same thing as Svchost?? When I get this it seems to make my sound card stop responding...
Also, if i leave my computer on the logon screen for a while, the svchost error appears there too! I don't understand how this is possible because nothing is running, right???
One final thing, a while back I updated the Bios of my motherboard, and I have reason to believe it was the wrong one, I obtained the drivers off Packard Bell's website using the serial number of my PC, but what I installed was for a 'Santiago' motherboard, when really I have an Asus P5S800 VM/S, but when I try to update to this Bios, I get the error 'incorrect Bios type from last Bios' or something like that. Could that be causing any problems???
Thanks once more.

Edited by ac_182, 14 September 2006 - 03:16 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well, yes it could. It may be causing a resource conflict. you may need to call PackardBell support to find out what correct bios you should be running.

ac_182

ac_182

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok i will do that and repost the results...

Thank you VERY much for your time :whistling: