Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan.Vundo [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello again

One of the difficulties in removing malware is that malware writers like to name their bad files the same as or similar to legitimate files. Very often the only difference is the path to the file that determines whether it is good or bad.

I like using ComboFix because it dates the arrival time of all files, so if you see two bad files in a bunch of 6 files, all arriving in the same few seconds, the chances are that they are all bad. Sometimes that might not be true but I already spend 5 hours a day researching members' logs as a volunteer, I do have to impose time restrictions on myself otherwise I wouldn't have any sort of a life.

Of all the files that we deleted, they will be backed up at C:\!Killbox\ so putting them back onto the system is not a problem. You could try them all one by one if you wish, but I would take a gamble and go for sporder.dll and setup90.exe.

HTH

Advertisements

alphanumeric

alphanumeric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hows it going?

So you recommend trying out sporder.dll and setup90.exe? Any idea which folder to put them back in? Thanks.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
These were the original paths:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\sporder.dll
C:\WINDOWS\Setup90.exe

alphanumeric

alphanumeric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hey there.

I tried both of your suggestions, but to no avail nothing happened. Same results. Nothing at all. I posted a thread on windows xp hoping that somebody would help me. Its really weird how i can play mp3 media but cant play system files which are wav files. The preview button for those files in the control panel were blacked out.

Thanks again for your replies. I hope this problem would be solved on my other thread. Cheers.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
I would check that your WAV files are associated with a media player.

alphanumeric

alphanumeric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
actually i did that first when i noticed that the files wont play. sad, it yielded the same result.

anyway i have opened another thread regarding this, and i hope it would be resolved by then. thanks for your help with the trojans and everything again.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
I can only suggest that if you have PCI audio card, to re-install the drivers from the set up disk. If it is on-board integrated sound, then use the disk for your motherboard set up.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :whistling:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.