Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalled win XP Pro - Desktop looks good but no worky

• Please log in to reply

Labyrinthus

Labyrinthus

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
First my PC went into nonstop reboot mode and wannabe1 hekped me reinstall win XP which fixed the reboot problem but it looked like most of my files were gone.

Then I noticed that I had used my son's disk, Win XP Home. I found my correct Win XP Pro disk and Keith helped me get that reinstall done. THe good news is that my old destop reappeared but now almost nothing will run. Keith recommended loading TuneUp which I managed to get on the Desktop from a cd burned on this laptop. But it will not install -- it hangs up on the install screen. I noticed an error from the reinstall that mscoree.dll was missing so I copied that to C:\windows\windows32 but it did not help a thing. I found my old Norton2004 disk and ran the Windows fix from the ROM drive and it found about 150 problems which it fixed. But it mentioned 2 problems that it would not try to fix...paraphrasing;

Operating system has been moved from drive F to drive F

&

Operating system has been moved from drive C to drive F

One interesting thing is that I moved AVG to the desktop at the same time I moved the TuneUp download there. And it loaded! And it runs!...every day on schedule and today it found Trojan downloader.swizzor.BHL

Can this PC be saved?

Advertisements