Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Modem Fried - Will not detect new modem

• Please log in to reply

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I had a friend bring his computer to because it wouldn't boot. Turned out that the modem was fried, literally! I look like lightening had struck the phone line because the modem and the PCI socket that it was in were both fried. I got a new modem and installed it into the computer. At boot the computer didn't recognize the modem. I then just tried using the installation disc that can with the hardware. It started to install but stopped about 3/4 of the way through the installation. It gave an error "No Device Found". I tried putting it in all three of the different sockets but had the same result. I also tried installing the modem manually through the Add Hardware program. It will let me install a generic modem but that is all. Even then the new modem doesn't work. I also uninstalled the old modem as well as the generic modem but still the same result? Is it possible that the PCI slots were are fried from the surge? The rest of the computer appears to be working properly. Very strange! :whistling: I also tried adding it to my home network to see if I could access the internet through it. I added it to my local network but it won't make a connection. The LAN LED lights up but does not flash as it will when there is data transfer. In the hardware devices there is no modem or ethernet device that appears on the device list. Is it possible that parts of the MOBO have failed but all other parts function properly? If so, let me know. I have always known MOBO's to be all or nothing. I have never seen this before. Suggestions anyone?

Advertisements

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Well, considering the NIC will be on the PCI bus as well as the slots, it sounds like the surge fried the PCI Host Controller. If I'm right, he's in for a new board.

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I was kinda thinking the same thing. I had already contacted him and suggested the idea. How unstable do you think this board will become over time? Care to wager a guess on that? I talked to him and he is interested in trying an external modem since the PCI host controller is shot. Any advice?

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I don't see any reason why stability would degrade over time. I guess there is nothing wrong with trying an external modem, but for a couple more dollars he could buy himself a new board.