Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card / video help.

• Please log in to reply

uu60

uu60

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Ok , so When I watch a video , my computer crashes , no message , no bluescreen , just turns off.
When i play wc3 , after about 20 minutes , the game crashes and gives me a random 0x00005 error.
So , first , investigating the wc3 thing , someone told me to add voltage to my memory , which someone in your chat told me was just a "Band-Aid" for bad ram , so i tried memtest86 , which was negative , so it wasn't the ram I guess.

So , tonight , in your chat , someone told me it might be my video card . I uninstalled the old software and reinstalled the new drivers for my nvidia mx 420 geforce but my comp still crashed during videos.

So , the chat got tired of me rambling on and on :whistling: , so I posted this thread , any help appreciated ^.^

Advertisements

Favs

Favs

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
hmm my only other idea would be your power supply unit. is it a vcard with an old computer or did you build the computer. alot of new vcards need more that 550 watts of power. Also alot of psu's only work at 70% effeciancy.... but if you didnt build the computer or if the vcard came with the computer than forget everything i just said.

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
The MX 420 is ancient. It isn't the PSU that is the problem. It is a defective video card from the sounds of it. Of course we can't know for sure until you replace it with something else and see what happens.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Click Start >Run
In the Run box type dxdiag
Click on the display tab
click the "Test DirectDraw" button, and the "Test Direct3D" button.
let the tests run there course,
  • What happens when the tests are running?
  • what are the error messages in the notes box?
  • Right click "My Computer" select properties, on the hardware tab, select device manager.
  • Is there any yellow marks next to anything (pariculary display adapters)

Edited by sarahw, 23 August 2006 - 09:50 PM.

uu60

uu60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I tried dxdiag , and on the third directdraw test , the full screen bouncing square , no error not , my comp just froze up and needed a reboot .
Also , my big brother did build this computer , how do i check the power supply , and what gets how many watts . Last , I want to buy a new vid card , I was thinking like a radeon x550 (256 mb VRAM) , would it work with my motherboard (asus a7v8x-x). And nothing in device manager.
-uu60

uu60

uu60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Still no awnser :whistling: , someone please help