Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple Windows Problems

• Please log in to reply

747btrfly

747btrfly

• Pip
  • 8 posts
:whistling: Hi there, Gee, I posted here before, but somehow it never showed up, even after I had already registered.

I had a major computer breakdown about a month ago, starting with stupidly locking my computer and losing password. One thing led to another and now I can't get into anything but safe mode. I tried a Windows Repair disk that I ordered from e-Bay, but the seller gave me no instructions, just a lot of "read me's." I have little or no experience with unzipping and installing, extracting, to what directory, and all that stuff. At 56, I pretty much can get around the computer, even "fool" it once in a while. But nothing this complicated.

Getting back to the problem, the first error I get is in DOS with The Netware Server. That is on my computer. But I just don't know which files to open with it. Most of them work pretty well with it, but I can't open Frostwire. Yes, I do p2p. I can prove to the RIAA that I spent more money on their products than I have ever downloaded. I don't do extensive p2p, nor do I share and download thousands of songs - my HD won't permit it and I wouldn't do it anyway.

These are the errrors in config in order:
nwredir.vxd
nwlink.vxd
nwsp.vxd
nscl.vxd
nwserver.vxd
Then NORTON - which I removed from the system.
When I get into saft mode, I get the "can't find nwnr.32.dll" errror. If I don't press OK at once, it will eventually clear up, but not entirely, there's an error box with no "X" at the top. I press OK. After that I getinto safe mode and then the "restart vs. link error.

For a new member and a first post, I know that this is really wordy, but I had to explain it as fully as I could. Some programs will work, others won't, which leads me to believe it's a Java Runtime issue that I have to have to open Frostwire or Limewire.

I want to install PCLinuxOS onto my computer. I can't partition the HD. Is it possible to install Linux over this mess?

Any and all help will be most appreciated,

Sincerely,

747btrfly
Bev

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You did'nt give any specs on the computer so i'm just guessing on some things. You are using another computer to put this message up. If possible download the PCLinuxOS iso file to this computer and burn it to a cd with nero software. In nero you will be making a bootable cd. I can go into details if you need me to.

Heres where you can download a bootable iso of PCLinuxOS.

http://mirrors.lastd...nglish/preview/

I would pick the big daddy one.

You will have to get into the bios of the problem computer to make some changes. You can usually do this by tapping the delete key while the computer is booting up. Once in the bios you will nedd to find the setting for the BOOT ORDER. You will highlight this setting by using the arrow keys to where it is highlighted with blue. Hitting the enter key will open a window where you can change the setting with the arrow keys you will set the bios to first boot from the cdrom drive. After making this setting hit the ESC key to get out of the window and hitting the ESC key again to get out of the bios. It will ask you if you want to save the settings. Use the arrow keys to move to YES and hit the enter key to save them. Now open the cdrom drive an put the PCLinuxOS bootable cd in the drive. Close the drive tray and reboot the computer. The computer should start loading linux and you will be on your way. try finding out how you can install the OS from the cd. Most will have a message on how to do this.

I have 5 computers with various installs of mandrake, Knoppix, Mepis, Ubuntu, and Suse linux. If you need help just ask, please.

SRX660

747btrfly

747btrfly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
:blink: Hi there,

Well, thank you so much for your reply and the fact that you are very knowledgable about Linux makes it even better!

One thing thing, though, I AM using this mess of a computer to get this to you!! I've been operating in safe mode now for about two weeks. So I really don't need a bootable CD. I also found out that I should get in a supply of floppy disks, didn't realize how handy they were!

I have WIN98SE, Pentium III, 256 RAM, and only a 10GB Hard drive. I'm planning on getting another computer in another week or two, but as I understand, Linux can run on low resourses. Will it install directly over this mess?

I've read a little about Big Daddy distro. From what I read, you are absolutely correct.

If that is the case, that Linux can install over this, then my problems are solved!! One less customer for Microsoft. BTW, have you ever been over to Lobby for Linux? I've been over there for about a year now, and Ken Stark, a friend of mine, has tried to convince me over and over to go to Linux. Now, I seem to have lost contact with him. I know he was really ill and he and his family need some financial help - they may lose their house! But, it took this final breakdown and all of the other thngs that Microsoft is trying to do, to finally make me a convert.

I'm wondering about an ISP. I'm presently using Comcast, which I don't like because they, along with MS, are trying to take over the internet. They don't support Linux, but does that mean their modem won't work? I can only surmise that since it's already installed, it will. But do you have any suggestions for a good high-speed, DSL ISP? The ONLY high-speed available here is Comcast, and I'm in Fort Lauderdale! A dial-up is out of the question since my present modem is one of those "Windows Only" modems which, I believe, were outlawed a few years back. But then again, I am getting another computer next month. This is for in the meantime!

Again, thanks so much, and God bless,

747btrfly :whistling:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
ISO files are images (duplicates) of complete CDROM disks containing exact binary copies of the original CDs. Usually, you have to burn an ISO file on a CD to extract its contents. The alternative would be to buy a Cd and wait until you get it to install linux.

Unless you bought a cd of PCLinuxOS you will have to download and burn the iso to a cd. From the Cd you should be able to install the OS. Although they have made strides in using winmodems with linux if would be far easier to use a hardware modem with linux. I personally use cable for my internet and have found it very easy to get online using the network adapter that is builtin most of the newer motherboards.

If you need help with linux i would look for a local LUG (Linux User Group) where you can go to meetings and converse with to solve problems. I use a local email group called SLUG (Suncoast Linux Users Group) to help me past many obstacles in learning to run linux. There are a couple of people from the miami area in this LUG.

http://www.suncoastlug.org/

Perhaps you can contact someone at SLUGin your area that will send you a CD for little more than the mailing costs. If needed i will also do this for you. You will have to message me with particulars to do this. You can message me thru this forum by clicking on my name.

SRX660

747btrfly

747btrfly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi there,

And thanks again for your fast reply. If I could locate the iso, with a little help, I'm sure I can burn it to a disk. i've burned everything else. A lot of free audio-books, and some Indie groups that REM is offering on their site. Anyway, I guess installing LInux Big Daddy right from the web is out of the question. If you could tell me how to locate the iso file, guess "Find" is a good start, I shouldn't have any problem.

I did order a PCLinuxOS disk from this money-hungry gal on e-Bay who is selling it for .50, that's not bad, it's thej 8.95 postage for a disk that she copied herself! I didn't think Linux was that way.

The SLUG group you referred me to is on the west coast, I live on the east coast, in Ft. Lauderdale, and really. if I can't install it from the web, based on your pending answer, I'll be more than happy to PM you with the particulars. Just let me know, ok?

Once AGAIN, thank you so much for your help. Always appreciated, you don't EVEN know how much!

Sincerely,

747 Btrfly

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The ISO cannot be installed from the internet.

SRX660

747btrfly

747btrfly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi there again!

Ok, now how do I get to the ISO to burn it to a disc. I want to get the "Big Daddy" version. Where can I get that?

Also, will Linux even work on my Gateway E-3400 Computer motherboard? Ken at L4L said there should be no problem, but McAfee, of course, told me it wouldn't. Of course, they're deadset against anything Linux at all!

Hate to keep bothering you with this, but I just need the simplest and quickest way to get this done!

Gee, you're helping me so much, I just wanted to remind you of how much it's appreciated.

Peace,
747btrfly :whistling:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Ok, I am going to retreat a bit here. From this conversation we are having i am assuming that you know some about computers but have really not delt with in reinstalling operating systems. Your computer is a Intel Pentium 3 600 to 700 computer with a 10 gig HD and a cd burner installed. Most of these desktop computer were workstations. I also assume you bought the computer used, otherwise it would not have the netware software installed on the computer.

More than likely you do not have the windows cd or a recovery cd so you want to just get the computer to work without buying a cd for the computer.

I must tell you now that installing Linux is not that hard to do. The real problem is learning how to install software and learning a different method of running a computer. Linux is quite different than Windows. Software does not automatically install like it does with windows. You will have a steep learning curve at first that many people cannot endure until they understand how to do things the linux way.

Personally i really think you need to reinstall windows98 to your computer instead of going off tangent and trying linux. I remember first trying linux many years ago. I was trying to install Mandrake linux and could'nt even get it to where i could format the drive to install the OS. I gave up and it took me 3 or 4 years to try again. Nowadays it is much easier to install but it does not come close to Windows for ease of use.

If you still want to try installing Linux and running it be prepared to do a lot of reading on the net for answers. Linux users are still kinda snobbish in that they expect you to look pretty hard for answers to problems yourself before asking them for the answer.

In answer to the ISO question, the mirrors.lasdot.org webpage link i gave you IS the iso you need to burn to a CD. The one big problem i see here is i think you have dialup internet which limits you to less than 56K modem speeds. A 684 Mb download will take you a very long time to download to your computer. I'm talking about a six hour download. Your ISP may not even let you stay online that long for one download. A numer of thing can hapen to stop the download also. Unless you have access to a high speed internet connection i would not attempt to download the ISO. I still remember downloading large files for days at a time because of all the timeouts that happend.

Linux should run on that computer but you may have problems with the sound. I do not know what type of sound is on that brand of computer. One good point with linux is you really don't have to run antivirus software as 99.9%of the viruses on the net linux just ignores. Most viruses are made for windows.

I think it would be better if i went ahead and downloaded the PCLinuxOS ISO and burned it to a cd for you. If you will message me by clicking on my UNDERLINED NAME we can exchange addresses so i may send you the CD by mail. I will download the iso, burn it to a cd and make sure it works.

Hang in there.
SRX660

747btrfly

747btrfly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi again and again,

WELL, guess what! I found the PCLinuxOS disk that I had and I booted it from the CD. Yup, you are right, it is quite different. From what I understood, it was not as command-line driven as it used to be. But, it is not the distro that you suggested. I know that there are newbie-friendly forums, Lobby4Linux is one of them, but I'm sure there are others.

I do have high-speed internet, Comcast.

You know, Ken from L4L mailed me that disk for nothing, and maybe just about $1 in postage. I ordered from some money-hungry gal on eBay for .50 and 8.95 postage! Just a little point about freeware there. And you are right, Windows is easier to use, but it's Microsoft and all of it's antics I can't tolerate.

There's so little I know, I thought that Firefox would recognize me on my computer, but I guess not on the boot up disc. That particular distro uses Klondike or something like that. I think Big Daddy uses Firefox as they are constantly showing up a poll on who's your favorite browser. Of course, mine if Ff. I had to reinstall IE6 today to get rid of a lot of problems, but still having problems with the p2p download. Also, MS has that TCP program that I think is absolutely arrogant of them. Who are they to say what and where I go on the net? Whose trusted computer sites and programs are to be trusted, their's or mine? End of lecture.

One thing McAfee told me was that Linux wouldn't operate on my motherboard, that NetWare was spyware, blah, blah blah. I guess they have their own agenda. I believe NetWare is used by p2p and a lot of freeware programs, not sure if I'm right or wrong there. What's your take on that?

You are so good at giving advice, even if you do use XP, LOL, what to do now?

But one more thing, I just can't get over how quick you are to respond. I don't think that users of forums realize that you helpers do not get paid for what you do and I have had quite a few people who would help me up to a point, like someone at Mozdev, but then just drop it in my hands. Others, like yourself, would actually take the time to help. It takes a special kind of person to sit in front of a computer and try to solve other complete strangers' computer problems. Your are one of the and I really respect you and thank you for that!

So, I am going to forward you my address and if you want, give me yours, maybe you can help with the disk, or whatever, and I can send you and great big "Thank You" note - plus a used computer if you want one LOL.

Sincerely,

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Sorry, if you have tried messaging me, i did not realize my message folder was full. Please try again if you would like the get the PCLinuxOS cd.

SRX660

747btrfly

747btrfly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, then sending the disc to me would be most appreciated. I pm'd you a couple of times but evidentlly, my firewall is all screwed up. Time for a free firewall - the last one I used was Avast and I had no problems with it at all. This one is blocking addresses right and left, especially since my computer was that screwed up that I had to reset it!

I'm going to go ahead and get a rebuilt computer with an 80GB hard drive, at least 512 RAM with a 1GH or more AMD processor. That's what I want anyway and I have someone on e-bay that will build me one for les that 300.00. It's time to kick this one to the curb!

I'm really not ready for Mandrake and all of those, so I guess I'll just have to get used to the newest one. O
I've got about a month to straighten this all out because we will be moving - to exactly where I don't know - but this place is just too small and the landlord is not being very cooperative about giving us a new one. After all, they actually "stole" the one we owned in their original park. This is not the place to discuss this.

But, the disk would be most appreciated!

Thanks so much,
747btrfly

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, i don't like the price of that ebay computer if it is only a 1 gig processor. I just built my little borther a tiger direct kit computer, celeron 2.93 processor, 512 ram, 80 G HD, DVD-rw, Sb audigy sound card and a intel D101 motherboard for $400. I would not accept less than a 2.4 processor today. Even a 2.4 processor is already over a year old. All motherboards that use older processors are disappearing fast. I won't even rebuild computers for customers that are over a year old. The cost would equal a new computer for them.

If you started with this kit

Tiger direct Intel D101GGCL kit with celeron 3.2 processor and 400 watt case.

http://www.tigerdire...e...015&CatId=0

Then carefuly bought parts like the memory, Hard drive, and a cd burner( or reused your old one) you could have a new computer for around $350. This would include a windows XP sp2 CD, 512 Mb of kingston memory and a 80 gig hard drive.

I have got your messages and have burned PCLinuxOS to a cd. I will make sure the cd boots in a little while. I will send it out but you probably won't get it until wednesday or thursday. All i ask is for you to send me the postage costs.

SRX660