Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I know if it's SP1?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
My computer didn't come with a boot CD or setup CD, and i need one to fix it.

I've downloaded a WinXP Home Edition file link to illegal software removed
but do not know if it's SP1. How would I know?

I mean, did MS name it SP1, knowing they were gonna do an SP2?

I 've opened the RAR file, but I am uncertai nwhat to look for that would let me know. Hopefully someone here can help.

Edited by wannabe1, 24 August 2006 - 12:45 AM.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go to my computer right clight then properties you should see service pack your on

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
No, no, you're not understanding.

I have not loaded this version of windows onto a computer. I downloaded a Rar file, which unzips into an ISO. I extracted the ISO, and I need to know if what I am now looking at is a WinXP Home Edition SP1.

I DO know that it's WinXP Home. I do not know if it's SP1.

I need to check this on my old computer before I use it as a boot cd to try and fix my computer (which did not come w/a boot cd).

Thanks.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
ok what make and model is your old computer do you remember what type of windows me 98 2000 even model number or serial number would help

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
I know you're trying to help, and I appreciate that, but I'm pretty sure that what my old computer is running is not relevent.

The computer for which I'll need the boot disc is WinXP Home Ed. SP1, which is why i need to know if the file i have is the same....

I'm uncertain how else to explain this, but I'll try:
- my new computer is locking me out of Windows (I've posted elsewhere about this)
- I need a boot disc to get back in
- I downloaded a Rar of Windows XP Home to my old computer
- I opened it, but I do NOT PLAN ON LOADING IT ONTO the computer where i opened it. I simply need to CHECK it before I burn the iSO file to a CD. (the cd to be used as my boot disc)
- I've extracted all the files.
- I'm trying now to determine if there is something in the REadme or elsewhere that will tell me if this is SP1.

Not trying to be impatioent or talk down, I'm just trying to list these things as clearly as possible as it seems there is definitely miscommunication here.

And, of course, thanks yet again!

Edited by Phlegmbot, 23 August 2006 - 11:43 PM.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Click here: http://www.microsoft...p1/default.mspx

Install your Operating system then update to Sp1.
It shouldn't matter whether it's sp1 or not, install it then update.

Edited by sarahw, 23 August 2006 - 11:49 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
so you dont know if you downloaded sp2 or if your girlfriend downloaded sp2 something that large can be hard to forget..............

uninstall sp2 find out that your original service packs there then reload service pack 2 and updates

if rar was that important i would do that

thats why make.... model are important serial number its easy that way

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Where did you download this RAR from?

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello. I appreciate your honesty in this matter. However, the fact remains that you are asking for our help in using an illegal copy of Windows. This is directly against our site policy, and we cannot help you with this.

Thank you for your cooperation.