Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't delete jpg file

• Please log in to reply

skippee

skippee

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I downloaded some jpg files onto my computer. Now I have three of 'em that I can't delete, move, rename, or anything else. Has anyone else ever had this happen and how can I get rid of them??? :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The easist method to remove these is with moveonboot.

http://www.snapfiles...moveonboot.html

Move On Boot wil delete files that cannot seem to be deleted.
The changes are made to your hard drive before Windows starts, hence it requires a restart of your system after you give MoveOnBoot its instructions. There are no messy boot or DOS commands, just a simple 3-step process.

Step 1: Locate the name of the file that is causing your problems.

Step 2: Decide if you want to copy, move or delete the file.

Step 3. Choose a destination for moving the file, or a new file name for the rename option (this option won't appear if you are deleting a file).

Click OK to confirm you want to process. The nice thing is that the program doesn't make you reboot straight away. It's a good idea to reboot ASAP, but if you are in the middle of something and want to wait, the program will simply run next time you start Windows.

7. If the file reappears again (check its creation date to ensure it is being recreated) and you can't make it budge, you may have trouble with spyware or a virus on your system (don't overlook the possibility it may also be an important system file). In this case you should get a good spyware removal program to scan your system.

SRX660

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi skippee. If that don't work try this Unlocker

majorgeeks.com/download4660.html

skippee

skippee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Wow!! Neither of these apps work. When using delete at reboot I get a "file invalid" when I choose it. When using unlocker I cannot right click and unlock. There is no option for that in my right click. These are very stuborn files. Any other suggestions? TIA

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Skippee may be time to try this then you know for sure.

Please go to malware forum and follow the instructions at the top
Specially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of
all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having
difficulty and you may not be
Then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.
Please be patient it may take some time before they get to you. :whistling:

Edited by 4238dwight, 24 August 2006 - 04:16 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Unlocker 1.8.4 is out today

When you install, tick all options then reboot

[attachment=10368:attachment]

skippee

skippee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok peeps..........I want to thank you ALL for your advice but here is what I did and oh how simple. I would just like to know why I couldn't delete the files by themselves. Couldn't even budge 'em. I used unlocker to delete the folder they were in instead of the files themselves. When I used unlocker to delete the folder (all users/mypictures) I got a prompt telling me that there were no files there to unlock but also asked me if I would like to delete the folder. I simply said yes an voi la............gone. Lucky it wasn't a system folder or I don't know what I would have done. I created a new folder and renamed it my pictures and now I'm back on track. I don't know where the deleted file went since there was nothing in my recycle bin. That is really weird not being able to do a thing to the files. Thanks again for all of your great suggestions.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know