Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIN XP PRO SP2; PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply

JoKeR

JoKeR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I want to do the repair installation, but I don't have the WIN XP Disk. Is there a place where I can download one? Or what?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
:tazz: don't have a windows disk...?

....you cannot, legally, download a windows disk.

Should I ask? How did you get windows on your computer?

JoKeR

JoKeR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
A friend of mine installed XP Pro on this thing. I used to have XP Home which was the original OS that came with the computer.

JoKeR

JoKeR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Maybe I should get back to my origianl OS- XP Home. But how do I do it? The only disk that came with the computer was Works & Money software disk! What to do.....?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You see, this is what we call a moral quandry....

JoKeR

JoKeR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Yup. Right now I've got two options either use System Recovery tool and use XP Home or get that XP Pro disk and use XP Pro. So please tell me which one is better. I want to wipe the whole HD clean either way. Just tell me which one is better Home or Pro (I've heard that Home got more problems with it than Pro).
BTW gerryf, you've misspeled quandary, it's supposed to be quandary. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I always err on the side of legal....

JoKeR

JoKeR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
This is all legal! You can use your XP Pro disk Key up to three times. As for the XP Home, my XP has two HD's one is a standard C drive the other one is strictly for System Recovery (it stores a snapshot of everything that was on the computer when it came out of the factory.) So which one? Home or Pro? Or is there another way out?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sigh--who told you that?

Listen, I don't want to get involved in a legal debate. I know exactly what the License Agreements for every version of Windows is Retail, OEM, and Upgrade and Volume License (the so-called corporate edition).

You are thinking of the Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition

You should use the one that came with your machine. Additionally, there is nothing wrong with XP Home. It has everything a typical user needs.

The mystique of XP Pro is maddening to me....and I am one of those people who actually uses the features of XP Pro. But that's because I need to--so many people with XP Pro would never, ever miss those features because they never use them.

Go with Home, it will be easier anyway since you don't need to wait for the disk...

JoKeR

JoKeR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Wow! Ok, so this copy of pro on my comp is PIRATED? Because when my friend installed XP pro (BTW he's the computer guy for comcast, LOL) he told me that Home is bad, Pro is good and that you can use the key 3 times. I never noticed a difference between Pro and Home, but whatever, I listen to the "smarter" people.
Ok, so XP Home it is! Any ideas of what I should back up?
Thank you Gerry for your help! I'm very happy that there are people like you who will help others out, in the time of need!

Advertisements

JoKeR

JoKeR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I'm reinstalling my OS, I've ordered a recovery disk from HP, so everything should work out fine. Any good advice on what I should install on my "new" computer?