Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP Security Update in My E-Mail?

• Please log in to reply

Cabranth

Cabranth

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hello.

Yesterday I recieved an e-mail that was a (critical)Windows Security Update. Even though it looked and sounded kosher, I was suspicious because I have never, ever recieved one of these notifications in my e-mail before. When I used the Windows Update link in my PC's Start Menu, the update search on the site had no updates for me to download.

I just was wondering if anyone else had recieved this e-mail, and if anyone knew whether it was legitamate or bogus. It's currently quarantined while I try to find out if I should delete it or use the link in the e-mail.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
It is almost certainly a hoax. As far as I know, Microsoft never sends out update reminders via e-mail. They might if you asked them to, but you would know about it. They also wouldn't expect you to click a link to download it. I would delete the e-mail right away and run malware scans. Many malware programs are responsible for these e-mails.

Good job not clicking the link! :whistling:

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hello.

Thanks for the reply Pi rules.

I'll do all that since I've already been through the malware dance once and don't wish to have to bother anyone here with my beginner's stupidity again.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

I'll do all that since I've already been through the malware dance once and don't wish to have to bother anyone here with my beginner's stupidity again.

Don't worry, there is no such thing as a dumb question. Asking about that e-mail and checking Windows Update first was the best thing to do. Ask away if you have any question no matter what it is and someone on this forum will happily help you. Everyone was a beginner to computers no matter how advanced they may be now. I still remember my first blue screen error or when I almost lost my most important data... People on forums like this helped me out and I decided to try and help other people out if I knew enough. That was just last summer, and I'm still learning more each day. :whistling: