Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card Issues

• Please log in to reply

Doomed_to_a_pathetic_computer

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
My brother bought a game a few years ago and it didn't work because the built in graphics card wasn't powerful enough. After months of searching for one/waiting for him to save up for his own, I have found him a GeForce2 MX400. I found drivers for it and everything. This is one of the few times I can not blame Windows XP for this, but the computer refuses to use the graphics card. It's been years since I had to deal with a motherboard with a built-in graphics card, and last time the BIOS settings had an option to disable onboard graphics cards. My brother's computer doesn't have one. The closest option was a "Init Display First" which I set to PCI, but it only used the graphics card once and then never again.

Advertisements

joybz

joybz

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Sorry, but i dont think anyone knows.. maybe its just that his comp is too old, i think you should save up and buy him a new one.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Old? We bought that computer brand new last year (or two years ago, I think.) It's just stubborn. His computer is running with a newer motherboard than mine.

joybz

joybz

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hmmm.,.. its strange that it used it once then not again.. It would either work or it would fail to work and stick to it. It could be possible that the GFX card is damaged, mybe its been exposed to static whilst you were fitting it?

crustygloves

crustygloves

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thats the same graphics card i have - i got it over 5 years ago, maybe try getting one that is modern, and will last you a few years