Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

So Slooow Load (Win xp)

• Please log in to reply

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
rushin1nd:
Just downloaded and used ccleaner. Utilized both cleaner and issues sections. Stayed away from the other areas ... for the moment.
Prior to doing the above I had followed your post above and did the following as you suggested :
clean your prefetch folder GO START...CLICK RUN...TYPE IN... prefetch ...CLICK OK..EDIT..SELECT ALL ..ON ANY BLUE FILE RIGHT CLICK THEN DELETE.............go to your tools menu at the top of your page select internet options delete cookies... delete files including offline put check mark click ok then close by clicking apply then ok.....go start..... all programs....accesseries...system tools....disk defragmenter.....just defragment ......GO START...CLICK RUN...TYPE IN ..chkdsk /f /r....then reboot and let this process go through its five stages do not disturb this
To that end do you feel it is necessary to defrag AGAIN?
Thank you

Advertisements

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
dpends
so are you ok with this or should we continue and try to see if we can make it quicker

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
both-Aero51 and rushin1nd:
Another plus from following the directions that you suggested is that my internet browser is running much faster and access time to it is cut tremendously.
for that too ... Thanks

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
:whistling: no problem
o one las thing, if you defragment your harddrive, this will also help.
1. Start
2. All Programs
3. Accesories
4. System Tools
5. DIsk Defragmenter
6. Selcet your C: drive
7. Click on defragment

thats about it ..... hope you enjoy your quiker pc again :blink:

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Again,
Thank you very much for both your knowledge and your time.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
your welcome

defragmenting is also an important tool so its a good idea to defragment your computer as >aero05<
suggested
it helps windows pass through each other rather than going around or its like they have to go over a hurdle so to speak

but anyway cleaning and defragging and run your antivirus and other adawre programs once a week helps keep your computer optimized

so enjoy the surfing

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Aero05 and Rushin1nd ... afollowup problem.
Today a new icon appeared on my load screen (btm right of windows screen) which when clicked on says "safely remove hardware". There are no other choices ... not even "exit".
I checked Windows Startup Inspector and it is not listed let alone checked to run ... only the four you (Aero05 suggested above)
If either or both of you are still there advice would be appreciated.
{{I have only downloaded the new version of ewido from their website and have not included it in the auto load section) and checked some areas of my computer with the "Jason ..." program on the geeks to go web site.
What should I do????

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
i advise you not click on it but just right click your start then choose properties and customize look for the safely remove highlight it by just clicking on it then on the drop menu beside choose always hide click ok then apply then ok

you dont need to use that its only for when you are removing some hardware on your computer that you dont need but its not gonna cause you any problems i have the same on my computer i dont bother or use it

Edited by rushin1nd, 27 August 2006 - 07:46 PM.

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Thanks!
The concern was it "just appeared" and that in itself made little of no sense (either that or I had just overlooked it since buying the computer).
The computer is a Toshiba M40C and it came with a number of Toshiba preinstalled programs/utilities of which this may be one. In any case it was a concern since you guys had worked diligently to get my slooo load problem sorted out.
Thanks again

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
the "safely remove hardware" icon is a system icon wich is there just in case you add any extra devices to your pc ......... this is not a problem at all ... its a system icon, you anly use it when removing external devices... so dont worrie much about it

Advertisements

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Would it be out of line to ask the following question (and it is a Winxp question)?
Within the next couple of days my 'subscription' to NortonAV runs out (2005) and I have to replace it (or renew it for almost $40).
My server (Rogers Yahoo) offers both NtnAV and Ntn Firewall free as part of their package (and it is supposedly updated frequently on line!??) If I were to take that option I realize removing the present Norton would be necessary.
BUT if the firewall was loaded are their any things within WIN XP that would have to be modified or changed as well??

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
norton will probaly over write it with the new one from rogers same with the norton firewall

but you can always look in your add and remove programs to see if 2005 is in there
after the new installment of norton 2006

but in order for it to over write it i think they have to be the same

but nothing out of the ordinary should take place with firwall it will be an updated version

just remember to update it after install then live update will keep updated from then on