Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dnserror

• Please log in to reply

lesleyerin

lesleyerin

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
my friend's computer has a dns error. I have seen it before and know that it usually means malware or a virus - something like that. I had previously installed all the adware, sbybot stuff on the computer but it still will not connect.

Is there anyway to fix the error to get on the internet without doing a hijackthis log?

The computer is running windows xp.

Also it was bought from someone selling off old work computers so I don't know if that could be causing problems as well. Looks like he cleaned out the work related material, put windows xp on it, and sold it off.

I appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

is there anyway you download this and just save it to desk top

once its there copy or burn to cd and install it on the computer that wont connect

run the program then try to connect

once you are connected update windows from microsoft updates

lesleyerin

lesleyerin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thank you for responding.

I installed it on the computer and it is still giving a dnserror when trying to open internet explorer.

I will post a hijackthis log. Thank you again.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
do the following

clean your prefetch folder GO START...CLICK RUN...TYPE IN... prefetch ...CLICK OK..EDIT..SELECT ALL ..ON ANY BLUE FILE RIGHT CLICK THEN DELETE.............go to your tools menu at the top of your page select internet options delete cookies... delete files including offline put check mark click ok then close by clicking apply then ok.....go start..... all programs....accesseries...system tools....disk defragmenter.....just defragment ......GO START...CLICK RUN...TYPE IN... chkdsk /f /r .....on flashing bar type the letter y reboot and it will go thru 5 stages

Edited by rushin1nd, 24 August 2006 - 11:55 AM.

lesleyerin

lesleyerin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks for the response.

I tried everything you suggested but it is still not connecting. It says:

WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll\dnserror.htm

when trying to open a web page

could you take a look at the hijackthis log I posted?

I would really, really appreicate it. no one has responded to it yet.

Thank you again for all your help.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click system click the hardware tab go to device manager look yellow mark at network adapters then right click and update driver or drivers

Edited by rushin1nd, 25 August 2006 - 08:33 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll\dnserror.htm

did that error show up in address bar

Edited by rushin1nd, 25 August 2006 - 08:13 AM.

lesleyerin

lesleyerin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I tried to update the driver and it said that it cannot find a better one than the one that is installed.

The error shows up at the bottom of internet explorer. its says: opening page res//C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll\dnserror.htm

Thanks for the reply

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
do you know type of router you have or make of computer

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Re-install the router software

go start.....Go to control panel...click on system ..open it...click hardware tab..device manager... network adapters..right click..uninstall..your computer will know the change and will reinstall it..then update it