Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP files deleted - are they still there at all?

• Please log in to reply

tjlbdl

tjlbdl

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Long story short, Gateway tech had me reinstall my windows xp prof. and of course all files are lost. I'm starting from scratch again, installing, connecting, settings etc. My last back up of my data was a couple months ago. Is there anyway to tell if there is something still there, hiding somewhere. I was told by Gateway there might be a slim chance and I would need to bring my harddrive into a computer repair facility to have them see if I was one of the lucky ones, with the slim chance. It this true? Is there a way to check on my own or do I just give it up and don't bother all the way around.

Tammy

Advertisements

gcsmith7

gcsmith7

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Tammy, if you have already re-formatted your computer then you have lost everything, but if you haven't, then you can get software from iolo called Srach 7 Recovery. I have the version S&R 2, it didn't help me at all last fall so to me it was a waste of $40, but they now have a newr version that might work better. Good luck! GCSmith7

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There is some software for data recovery but it isnt very good its almost impossible to overwrite data to make recovery impossible however its very expensive to actually do it and not worth it (we are talking buying whole new computer kind of money). You might maybe get some data recovered with software but i wouldnt bother data recovery is something some tech supports dangle in front of you to reformat without to many complaints.

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
It is completely possible to recover data from a formatted or even partitioned HDD. As long as the data has not been overwritten by new data you can recover it. I recommend trying Stellar Phoenix.

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Oh, and just to add substance to what I am telling you, I just did a recovery on a HDD about 20 minutes ago that was overwritten by a repartition, format, and installation of Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

So far I have recovered over 1GB of invaluable, irreplacable files and now I have to burn them onto DVD before they disappear again. Once again I used Stellar Phoenix, which is available at http://www.stellarinfo.com/ for only $99 USD. The program is unbelievable, trust me.

tjlbdl

tjlbdl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Is the program user friendly or very advanced and only the computer tech. pro's, like yourself, would be able to follow it?

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
It's not too bad I guess. It makes it easier that they have a FAQ online that guides you through the process. I'm sure you'll be able to manage, and if you have troubles all you have to do is post here and I'll help you out. You might want to PM me and let me know that you have posted in the thread, along with the link, in case I don't trip across the thread again, but I will help you out.

Trust me, it'll be the best $100 you ever spent.

galec

galec

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
active@undelete worked for me, recovered 8G of files for only $44.Active@Undelete. try the demo version first, very easy to use.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://servers.linux...6...30&from=rss after some looking and not finding anything free a while ago i gave up i personally never see the point of paying but im a smart guy and back everything up, everything, just came across this http://servers.linux...6...30&from=rss on digg you might have some luck with that.

The biggest difficulty with alot of people is when there is alot of not properly erased files and a hard drive that has been reformated a few times as in that case data becomes mixed up, if you are careful all the time it works best but people that careful usually keep backups. Usually you are looking 50 50 odds for alot of people for even some recovery but there are a few factors, big one is software there is so many file recovery apps and most are useless you just have to try and find a good one.

The best way to recover data though is to keep backups of important data and keep a seperate partition from your OS, a $10 spindle of DVDs can save you alot of time and alot of money.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Pc Inspector File Recovery is free. It has worked for me in the past with in similar circumstances.
http://www.pcinspect.../UK/welcome.htm
Download page

Edited by sarahw, 28 August 2006 - 08:48 PM.